Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

ice fishing ethics
LSF Member
From Bemidji
What would you do?
I have been fishing a spot on lake Bemidji for three yrs, always in a portable, without anybody within 100 yrds of me. Now this yr a guy who rents houses on lake Bemidji found out I was doing well and came out looking for me, found out where I was, waited until I left for the day and promtly moved two of his houses on top of my holes. This is a spot on a spot so he has forced me to fish somewhere else. Where have ethics gone. We as fishermen were once a proud group.

I have a perm house sitting in my yard. Too many people know it. I cant use it because the next time I go out it looks like swiss cheese around it. I have not used it in two years. Anybody interested its for sale.

Posted on: 2009/1/20 10:41
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: ice fishing ethics
LSF Member
From lakeville mn,
It sucks but its leagal hope you find a better spot than that one. and if you do i wouldnt be so truthful on how the fishing is!!!

Posted on: 2009/1/20 11:13

LSF Member
From Backus, MN
Sorry you lost your spot, but there isn't much you can do. The only thing you could do would be to put a permanent house there next year ahead of him.

Posted on: 2009/1/20 11:25
www.conquestscents.com

LSF Member
From lakeville mn,
and welcom to lsf

Posted on: 2009/1/20 11:26

LSF Member
From Maple Grove/ Alexandria
It happens to me all over the place. Its impossible to keep secret spots a secret with all the technology out. Mapping software is so advanced people can move right in on your favorite spots. I think B-N is right. Get out there first and drop a perm. And welcome to LSF.

Posted on: 2009/1/20 11:30

LSF Member
From Bemidji, MN
That really does suck!

Did you offer up the spot to him? I know most of the guys renting on Bemidji and can't believe that most of them would do it without your permission.

I would call or e-mail them. Tell them your frustration!

I wish it were our rentals on your spot... ;) "Doing well" is something that's tough to come by on Bemidji right now! ;)

Posted on: 2009/1/20 11:36

LSF Member
From Cambridge, MN
This issue is why I stopped guiding years ago, bring a group out and the next day there's 10 boats on the spot so move to another and they just follow you.
On another note I was out yesterday in a permanent that is by itself and a 1 ton van parks 10 feet away from my 1 ton pick up. I'm about to get out and move my truck and I notice these guys look like there the front linesman from the Vikings. Not exactly sure what their talking about I decide to watch for a bit. They drill 20 or so holes all around the permanent that I'm in and get their jiggle sticks out and jig like the dickins. Now I'm laughing cause I got the 2 lb line on and have to coax these sunnies to get them to bite. Ten minutes later I look out and the biggest guy that must go 350 lbs and well over six feet has 8 sunnies flopping around him already?? I watch this dude and I can't even tell if he's using anything on his jig but he's catching 2 to my 1 easily. Get my limit and go to the crappie house and the neighbor tells me that they were out every day last week catching limits and no bait on there jigs, go figure.

Posted on: 2009/1/20 11:42

LSF Member
That guy really sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He sould be run off the lake and out of town.
Those guys that call themselves guilds but cant find their own fish really hurt the business. I have rented from a couple of those kind of guys before and will never rent from them again. Sorry for your loss.

Posted on: 2009/1/20 11:44

LSF Member
From Backus, MN
Welcome to you as well 24inches!

Posted on: 2009/1/20 11:48
www.conquestscents.com

LSF Member
From Foley, Mn Bemidji, Mn
Welcome to LSF Tour. I feel your pain man, and have heard many stories such as yours. Samething happened to a buddy of mine on Bemidji about 6 years ago, had a spot to himself like yours all ice season, took some college friends from the dorms with (one had his gps hidden) ends up gps'ing the spot. Well needless to say a few weekends later my buddy goes out to the spot he'd been fishing to find 3 portables all fishing close together in the spot. He finds out its the one dorm buddy (had hidden gps with from before) from the college with his dad and some friends from the cities. Needless to say my buddy told me he fishes by himself now or with his wife rather than taking friends out he can't trust since that happened.

I had a run in with a guy on a local lake, who thought it was funny to run his snowmobile 4 foot (foot to toe) paces away from my portable while I was in it. I'm kinda glad it happend so fast cuz something bad probably would of happened if I had time to flip up my house. No respect.

Best thing to do is be as secretative as you can be, even if it means just fishing the spot on a weekday and not on weekends or fish it say from 9 am to 3 pm on a weekday when people are at work. Also don't go there day after day, after day. People will see you or your same house and will take note that you must be getting them there, plus its not really to bright to do that anyways as someone will call TIP on you, unless your just taking a meal or CPR'ing. And just don't tell anyone how good your doing really. If you can't trust them or they are out to make a buck on you with no kick back whats the point? Sounds extreme but if you wanna keep spots you find yourself to stay good and to yourself or with a few loyal fishing pals you just gotta do that. Like horseshoe stated with todays technology and everybody seems to own a wheeler or snowmobile that its very easy to fish out a spot pretty fast if word gets out. People really just don't want to work to find the fish anymore and just expect to be thrown a bone, I've found out especially after living up there for 5 years. Not talking locals they know where and when to go, im talking folks from down south. Fishing ethics have gone down the tubes I think, and some people just don't have any respect for fellow anglers at all. 10 feet is the rule, but seriously use some common sense, unless you know each other.

Posted on: 2009/1/20 13:04

(1) 2 3 4 ... 7 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page