Resorts & Lodging
Fishing Guides
Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

MNDNR, and Insurance Companys holding hands.....
LSF Member
From Somerset, WI
...so this thought/idea/information comes from a couple mouths.
Reading a lot of the input from all the LSF hunters progress and or end of the deer season scores. Low amount of deer harvest seems to be across the table. The 5 deer limit in the past(8 yrs?) has something to do with that.
( please take this with a grain of salt, i"m not trying to start anything, but important if the info is true)
In the past 4 weeks, I have talked to people that have shared info that the DNR is hand in hand with the insurance companies to harvest a disclosed number of deer to bring the population down. Why? Because of the amount of drivers in MN, and the amount of deer in the state is causing the insurance companies lots of money because of deer hits in this state. Can anyone shed some light on this subject?? Since when is our wildlife, and hobbies, and traditions and payoff? Yeah, we have had some amazing hunts in the past, but the continuing of a over harvest because insurance crooks don't like deer? If there is any truth to this, that's B.S.!! If there is any agenda down at the Deer Classic, this should be top concern.
I hope this isn"t true, but if so, it needs to be exposed IMO.
Remember I can't say this is true, so just take it as is. Just concerned about the future of our deer and the future hunts for us.
Thank you.

Posted on: 2009/11/27 13:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: MNDNR, and Insurance Companys holding hands.....
Pro Staff
From walker
With out knowing first hand I would its true but weather it is or it isnt it seems to be working. I have not seen but one road kill for over a month. I live in an area where road kills were often but not this year.

Posted on: 2009/11/27 21:13
www.walleyetrips.com
Fish house rental - www.leechlakeicefishing.com
218-368-6424

LSF Member
From Sartell, MN
I would have to say "NO" this is not the reason behind the intensive harvest areas. I've heard that the city hunts that are popping up are in response to the number of deer/vehicle accidents, but not the intensive harvest areas. The areas that are intensive harvest are not concentrated close enough to each other, and major roadways, for this information to be true.
My .02!

Posted on: 2009/11/28 2:28

LSF Member
From grand rapids/deer river area
I can understand the thinking in this, but an audit of the states income would reveal all sources of income. it would probably be easy to disguise it, and hell they probably wouldn't even deny it were it true.

however, I would think that the insurance companies would be money ahead focusing on the clover/alflafa mix they plant along the roads after road construction.
I know they mulch, but I have seen this heavy clover growing at least in this county. the first two seasons after this new growth takes off, they ditches are full of deer.
you want to reduce accidents, quit attracting them to the roadsides.

secondly, pay attention to the road. quit talking on your cell phones and texting.
distracted driving accounts for the vast majority of car accidents period.

I know a deer can run across the road any time unexpectedly. just pay attention. it's part of being a responsible driver.
that will help more than anything else we can do.

the DNR is well on the way, regardless of their motivation, of taking care of this problem anyhow.

Posted on: 2009/11/28 23:00
lowrance x-40 depthfinder that works kinda most of the time-
dual zebco 202's with two piece genuine fiberglass rod...

LSF Member
From Linwood, MN
As an insurance agent for a major carrier, I know this to be true, Insurance companies are highly regulated and watched with an eagle eye for anything they involve themselves in. I have never heard of anything like this from my company or from other carriers. I believe there is concern to reduce all accidents including deer hits but I know for my company the deer hits in WI are twice as high. If there was such a effort between the DNR and insurance companies, I would think it would be even more prevelant in states where there are substantially more car/deer accidents.....

Posted on: 2009/11/29 0:03

LSF Member
From Moose Lake, MN
It's really easy to believe something like that is going on in this day and age of politics=money=corruption.
I completely agree with the careful driving issues, most of my buddies drive like they're on a race track 24/7, my wife can't walk and chew gum at the same time but thinks it's OK to yap away on the @#$%ing phone while driving. I've hit deer myself and it's not a fun experience to have one almost come in through the sunroof of a Honda Prelude. I've learned that during peak movement times for deer to slow way down. I use my headlights as a speed indicator. If I can't see something in time to react/avoid it, I'm going too fast.
Like my father always said 'I'd rather get there late and in one piece than not get there at all.'

Posted on: 2009/11/29 0:40

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page