Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Blue walleye
I cought a walleye opening weekend that looked really different. It had a blue tint that was very bright and noticeable. It was skinny but appeared very healthy otherwise. Is it possible that is some form of a blue walleye?

Posted on: 2010/5/18 16:22
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Blue walleye
LSF Member
lol, ha, aha, haa, ha, lol......no no possibility. The true Blue Walleyes's "WERE" in lake Erie. A few, many years ago, were secrectly transplanted by lets just say people, that way there are no assumptions being said, to a few select lakes, at least on in MN, far north, and in Canada. The only ones remaining even in those lakes are a fond distant relative, and are considered a blue hue Walleye, more of the pigment in the slime, and it wipes off. Your Mille Lacs Walleye, was probably just a off color or due to polution or genitic mutation, birth defect.

Posted on: 2010/5/18 16:41

Supporting Member
From SW TC Metro
over the years I've caught a a few "blue pigment" walleyes mostly in Canada, none as far south as Mille Lacs.

ongoing research from University of Wisconsin can be found here:

http://wayneschaefer.blogspot.com/

Posted on: 2010/5/18 16:53

LSF Member
From Avon, MN & Beautiful Mille Lacs
That is interesting- Do you have a pic of it? I have never caught or seen one.

Posted on: 2010/5/19 8:25

LSF Member
From Farmington
I saw a blue goose when I was up there last year

Posted on: 2010/5/19 8:27

LSF Member
We've caught two blue walleyes on Lac Seul in Canada over the years. They had bright colors and even glowed blue/green in the water. The fin areas had almost fluorescent blue color to them - very cool. We've had bluish walleyes over the years but nothing like these two.
Supposedly blue walleyes were a walleye sub-species that went extinct in the 80's, but hopefully some remain in northern lakes.

Posted on: 2010/5/19 8:54

LSF Member
From Hiding from the Wife!
Quote:

0ly1 wrote:
I saw a blue goose when I was up there last year

Lol! I drank at one... I've also picked up a blue tinted eye from the pond before... They're really strange coloration but are definitely a walleye! Probably just a different pigmentation and nothing more...

Posted on: 2010/5/19 9:02

LSF Member
From Wright County
While on a great Fly in fishing trip with L&M we caught some walleyes that were very "blue" in color.

Check out the pic in post #6. If you click on the pic you can then zoom in on it and see how "blue" it really was. Very interesting to see one of these up close !

http://www.lakestatefishing.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=17610&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0

Posted on: 2010/5/19 9:07

LSF Member
From Lakefield, MN
Extincted Blue Pike

Posted on: 2010/5/19 9:41

LSF Member
From Saint michael Minnesota
None are known to be living they are extinct even in northern waters. walleyes due change a blueish color on a grey clay bottom.

Posted on: 2010/5/19 11:30

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page