Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Wheel Fish House Question...
LSF Member
Hey guys got a few questions for you first of all i am looking to buy a wheeled fish house at least 16 feet long with a v, what can you guys tell me that is important about them , is used ok? build my own, what things do you guys like about yours , anyone here build houses? Looking to spend a decent amount of money but nothing outragous, also house must be some what light ..

Thanks Alot

Posted on: 2012/1/15 19:35

Re: Wheel Fish House Question...
LSF Member
From Hartville, OH / Lake Erie
Check out the yetti houses. They are light and can be customized to your standards. We have a king crow 6.6x16 wheelhouse and we like it its just heavy.We are remodeling it right now because it was mainly a day house and now were putting a camper style table in the back, 2 folding beds out of the wall, and a stove,countertop,and cabinet in the front.

The nice thing about getting a customized ice house is its made for you and its what you want. Check out other brands and pick the style and brand that best fits you and your price range.

Good luck,
justin

Posted on: 2012/1/15 19:55

LSF Member
From Wahpeton, ND and Walker, MN
I don't mean to offend anyone, but if i were shopping for a house, i would stay away from ice castle. Just about every house i have seen that was finished by ice castle has very poor fit and finish (i have no idea about the quality of the trailer though).

I think buying a shell and finishing it yourself would be a great way to go, or buy a used house that sombody used as a day house and then add the stuff you want inside. It is like having a fresh canvas.

post pictures when you pull the trigger!

Posted on: 2012/1/19 16:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Hartville, OH / Lake Erie
Quote:

Fishwiz4 wrote:
I don't mean to offend anyone, but if i were shopping for a house, i would saty away from ice castle. Just about every house i have seen that was fiihsed by ice castle has very poor fit and finish (i have no idea about the quality of the trailer though).

I think buying a shell and finishing it yourself would be a great way to go, or buy a used house that sombody used as a day house and then add the stuff you want inside. It is like having a fresh canvas.

post pictures when you pull the trigger!

I will agree with the castles. Ive heard many bad stories from owners of them. They are the most popular people are paying for the name so quality isnt #1 on the manufactures mind its making money. Ive heard of springs snapping and frames twisting.

Me personaly i would have a frame built and do the rest myself.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 16:30

LSF Member
From Southern MN.
Ice Castle fish houses came along way in the last few years. Especially when it comes to the frames. They use a double pully system so that it lifts much easier. Also the frames are more durable than they use to be. The frame on mine looks better than or as good as any fish house frame Ive looked at. As soon as I bought mine I sanded down the entire frame and put two coats of Herculiner on it to prevent it from rusting. should easily last me 20-25 yrs.The interiors have also improved.

Something scares me about the aluminum framed houses. They are less durable, but they are lighter....

No offense taken fishwiz..

Posted on: 2012/1/19 16:47

LSF Member
Make sure whatever house you get they used stainless or galvanized fastners on the floor or any treated lumber on the house.

I have seen many that haven't , and being in the construction businessm regular fastners with treated materials won't last long

Dan

Posted on: 2012/1/19 18:15

LSF Member
From Big Lake
I think finishing or building a house yourself is half the fun of owning one.

Last week I stopped at Ice Castle dealer north of the cities, they had a Ice Castle RV edition in their show room. There was nails sticking out the cedar paneling, trim around the windows not cut even, the doors didn't fit right, and the house was sitting on the tires when lowered. I seen some nice Ice Castles, but this one was to be the top of the line house. I lost alot of respect for Ice Castle after seeing this.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 21:43

LSF Member
From Blaine
I have a 6.5x14 V front ice castle with rear double doors and the interior pretty much sucked and i tore it all out and rebuilt it to my liking and love it now. I have been debating offing it and going to a yetti pretty much just for the weight factor but now I have a new boat in mind. Comparing a ice castle last week to a yetti the yetti seems a lot better mechanically bigger cranks, better rollers, better looking piviot system. I would also get rid of the cranks ans cables and add on 12 volt tongue jacks like on a camper there way simpler and easier. Granted the yetti was just a shell I was able to pick up the tongue and wheel it around in a grassy lot.I just priced them and with no late winter deals yet the 6.5x16 V front was $7328 out the door after tax and title. Usually they come down about 500 and throw in some factory accessories a little later in the season.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 22:00

LSF Member
From Fargo
So the 8x34ft King Castle is not worth it???? Well I hope the rents like it cause they got one this yr and have yet been able to drag it out, I think they are going to try this weekend, but I noticed on their last Ice castle they had finishing problems as well.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 1:22

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page