Fishing Guides
Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Mississippi in St cloud good place to fish?
LSF Member
From Melrose
I fish the mississippi river all the time I normally go above the sartell damb and fish mostly smallies great place to catch some huge bluegills also if you can find them in the spring the river is a great fishery you never know what you will get I have a 19ft skeeter with a 150 and I haven't had a problem yet just watch out for logs early after ice out

Posted on: 2012/3/15 12:53

LSF Member
From Little Falls
I fish most of the time below the SCSU dam here in town. I have good luck with eyes, northern, crappies, and smallies. I am on the cheep side as i will not throw anything other then a number four hook and a split shot, or a small jig and minnow. There are lots of rocks and debris in the river, so be ready lose some tackle if you fish the river. Also be ready at any moment to catch anything even right in front of you in shallow water.

Posted on: 2012/3/15 15:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Princeton,MN
Quote:

Amos wrote:
I fish most of the time below the SCSU dam here in town. I have good luck with eyes, northern, crappies, and smallies. I am on the cheep side as i will not throw anything other then a number four hook and a split shot, or a small jig and minnow. There are lots of rocks and debris in the river, so be ready lose some tackle if you fish the river. Also be ready at any moment to catch anything even right in front of you in shallow water.

Great point! I have fished the river so long i seldom even think twice about losing tackle any more 9much to my fishing guests chagrin). If it pains you to buy a $7 Rapala, then the river is not going to be your friend.

On the otherhand, if you are a savvy shopper you can find a ton of good deals on used crankbaits. For example I just bought about 20 Rattltraps for $30. A couple need hooks, the ones with hooks need sharpening. But it's much easier to lose a $2-3 crank than a brand new $7-8 bait.

As well for shore fishing, a hook and splitshot with a minnow is a pretty darn good bait any time of year. Crawlers are also awesome for a multi species bag. With either a minnow or crawler, you just never know what you are going to get with each hookset.

Posted on: 2012/3/15 15:15

"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass

LSF Member
From St. Cloud
Don't mean to hijack the thread....but.

The F.I.L lives on the Sauk River a few miles up river of the Sippi. I was thinking of throwing out a glob of crawlers and seeing if anything would grab hold. I don't fish rivers much and have some questions. Do fish from river systems like the Mississippi travel up small rivers like the Sauk this time of year? We've caught smallies on this stretch in the summer, but don't know if cats, carp, suckers make their way up since they already live in a river. This stretch averages 3'-5' if that makes any difference. He's got a small creek that dumps in on the corner of his property, would that be a good place to start?

Posted on: 2012/3/15 15:56

LSF Member
From Princeton,MN
Quote:

gixxer01 wrote:
Don't mean to hijack the thread....but.

The F.I.L lives on the Sauk River a few miles up river of the Sippi. I was thinking of throwing out a glob of crawlers and seeing if anything would grab hold. I don't fish rivers much and have some questions. Do fish from river systems like the Mississippi travel up small rivers like the Sauk this time of year? We've caught smallies on this stretch in the summer, but don't know if cats, carp, suckers make their way up since they already live in a river. This stretch averages 3'-5' if that makes any difference. He's got a small creek that dumps in on the corner of his property, would that be a good place to start?

The Sauk will in fact have fish that seldom if ever leave the river if it stays open. Look for current breaks and holes. Remember that a "hole" in a river may only be a 1-2ft depression in the river bottom.

Anytime you have feeder creeks coming in, they are a good place to check out. Especially after a rainfall, or with the snow melting. Baitfish will sometimes get caught in the moving water and flushed into the larger flowage. and fish like to stack up in these areas.

For example, in the summer i like to fish feeder creeks when or directly after it rains. Cats love to sit below a good flowage and pick off minnows, frogs, ect that are flushed into the system.

Posted on: 2012/3/15 16:22

"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass

LSF Member
I spend 95% of my fishing time on the rivers in and around St. Cloud. If you are going to launch below scsu damn you really need to pay attention there is a lot of skinny water down there. Plastics are a great cheap lure. Flukes and tubes are always a good option, top water baits will produce very good and wont snag up either. I cant count the times I caught 4 or 5 species in a day using the same lure. You really never know whats on the other end of the line when your fishing the river. It was shocking how many muskies I saw last year (not caught) I'm really hoping I can connect with one this year.

Posted on: 2012/3/17 22:50

LSF Member
From st cloud
Did you see the muskies below the 10th street dam or above. I used to catch quite a few smaller muskies five to six years ago below the dam but haven't caught one in awhile.

Posted on: 2012/3/21 21:13

LSF Member
From St Cloud MN
Quote:

oldhabits wrote:

You can launch a larger boat above the dam in Wilson Park. I have a Lund SS Angler with a 115 Yamaha and have used that access before without issue.

Good to know. I have a 16.5' Rebel SS with a 40. You're thinking I should be safe between Hwy 23 and the Sauk bridge? Obviously I'll keep an eye on water levels.

What kind of depths are out in front of Wilson Park?

Posted on: 2012/3/25 11:52

LSF Member
Quote:

silverback wrote:
Did you see the muskies below the 10th street dam or above. I used to catch quite a few smaller muskies five to six years ago below the dam but haven't caught one in awhile.

Below, and above. I seen a couple caught but not by me. I had a very nice one take my 6in silver fluke smallie fishin. It sucked it in its mouth, I pulled and nothin. I saw the whole thing happen right in front of me in less than 2ft of water. They are definitely down there, and there are definitely some nice ones!

Posted on: 2012/3/26 8:57

LSF Member
From St Cloud MN
anyone get out on the river this weekend? we were at wilson park for lunch with the future in-laws and i saw several boats trolling not more than 30 yards from shore. i threw some rapalas off the dock at each access and missed one smallie. didn't see any walleyes caught.

tonight i'm gonna throw the boat in there and jig some fatheads. anyone have an idea how deep it can get out from wilson park or the hospital?

Posted on: 2012/5/14 11:58

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page