Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Strikemaster or Eskimo Power Auger?
LSF Member
From Bloomington
Thanks for you input everybody.

It sounds like both power augers are good quality products that have served you guys well for a long time. For me, I will likely go with the Eskimo Mako beause of the dual blade system over the single "chip" blade on the strikemaster magnum.

Ill probably keep the old hand auger around too for nostalgic purposes, or for use when the ice is relatively thin in the early and late season.

Posted on: 2012/3/22 14:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Hartville, OH / Lake Erie
How much is the mako on sale for? Glens army navy has the 51 cc viper for $286.59( give or take a few bucks! I'm on my phone so ill look later) shipped! At the same weight and a extra 7 cc I would go this way if its around the same price! Its got the quantum 8 auger system, and the new handlebars! Not trying to steer you away from the mako but I would look into it if its around the same price!

Posted on: 2012/3/22 15:49

LSF Member
From Carver, MN
I hear the chipper blade system is better at drilling frozen up holes like in a permanent fish house than the dual blades. I have the SM magnum, used it all this past winter and works great so far!

Posted on: 2012/3/22 16:16

LSF Member
i own both a mako and a magnam and there really isnt one i prefer over the other yes the strikemaster is lighter but it is alot slower than the mako i havent had a big issue with either one but from the few problems ive had eskimo customer service is a tad better than strikemasters if i had to choose one auger id probably buy the strikemaster if i were you then someday buy an extra lazer bit

Posted on: 2012/3/23 2:34

LSF Member
how about the price off the new blades when it comes to replacing them i know the sm mag is only like therty bucks dount know how much the duel blades are but im sure it more by the way i have sm

Posted on: 2012/3/23 7:51

LSF Member
From Bloomington
The Mako is on sale for $300, while the Strikemaster Magnum is on sale for $320, plus I have an old $50 gift card.

From everyones posts it seems that both brands seem like pretty good products and both seem to have there pros and cons. I have a portable fish house and tend to favor the "run and gun" type of ice fishing, although this was kind of limited with the hand auger . I am leaning towards the Eskimo because of the dual blade system, and larger engine. The penalty for this seems to be the weight difference and wider grips which will add eccentricity making it more difficult to drill holes, but this drawback seems to be minor.

It does seem like a lot of you guys like your Strikemasters though. Maybe I should just flip a coin!

Posted on: 2012/3/23 8:24

LSF Member
From Warroad
before you buy, check out these Ebay listings... I bought a set-up from this store last fall and have been extremely pleased!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eskimo-M43-MAKO-43CC-ICE-AUGER-POWERHEAD-ONLY-90-DAY-WARRANTY-/230765414150?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bab0c706

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ardisam-E43-DIRT-EARTH-AUGER-POWERHEAD-Factory-Second-1-/280746030447?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415dc4756f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eskimo-NEW-QT8N-8-QUANTUM-ICE-FISHING-POWER-AUGER-REPLACEMENT-BIT-/280842341645?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4163820d0d

the first link is to a mako power head, the second and Earthquake power head- both are 43 cc, the only difference between the two are the recoil handles and the decals. I have an earthquake head and used it all winter. It worked flawlessly, even on the few -20 days. The third is a 8" bit. If you go to their Ebay store they have 10" bits for $100 or less(demo models) The whole setup plus shipping will be around $250-$260 for the 8", $200-$225 for a 10". They combine the shipping when buying a whole setup. I bought an E-43 head, an 8" bit and an 18" extension..and I believe to combined shipping was $30

Posted on: 2012/3/23 11:47

LSF Member
From Warroad
I should mention something about their shipping- I purchased the auger on a sunday afternoon and it was sitting on my doorstep Tuesday evening....and I live 12 miles from the canadian border next to Lake of the woods. Not bad in my opinion for it to be shipped from wisconsin.

Oh, I was also going to say that the quantum augers with the ring and the dual blades on the bottom makes opening old holes up extremely easy. I did it repeatedly all winter long and found it to be way easier than with the Jiffy I have without the ring and with a single blade.

One last note- keep the old crank auger! I always bring mine with, no matter what. A crank auger will always start, never be out of gas, and- believe it or not- can get you out of a bind. I used a crank auger once to make an anchor to winch my pickup out of a crack my front tires had dropped in. I had a come-along cable winch with and drilled the hand auger in behind my pickup and hooked to it and winched myself out.

Posted on: 2012/3/23 11:51

LSF Member
Don't worry about strikemaster warranty D-Rock in new Brighton is still doing all factory warranty work I have talked them about the buyout.

Posted on: 2012/3/23 12:22

LSF Member
From Twin Stars (Mpls & St Paul)
Quote:

FishinNate wrote:
The Mako is on sale for $300, while the Strikemaster Magnum is on sale for $320, plus I have an old $50 gift card.

From everyones posts it seems that both brands seem like pretty good products and both seem to have there pros and cons. I have a portable fish house and tend to favor the "run and gun" type of ice fishing, although this was kind of limited with the hand auger . I am leaning towards the Eskimo because of the dual blade system, and larger engine. The penalty for this seems to be the weight difference and wider grips which will add eccentricity making it more difficult to drill holes, but this drawback seems to be minor.

It does seem like a lot of you guys like your Strikemasters though. Maybe I should just flip a coin!

Strikemaster is a favorite due to MN local and sponsors. Im not seeing alot of constructive feedback on use or experience with both augers. So i'll paint a clearer picture since I use both augers frequently.

I have used the Viper powered Eskimo Stingray, Mako, Z51 and the hand shattering Z71. No complaints. All powerheads start fairly easily in coldest conditions ive been. Although the Z71 has way too much power for my liking. At times my hands feel like their still shaking from the drill. LOL. Design of auger bit and quantum blades making cutting very effortless without pressure. Your holes cut more adequate and the ring design on the bottom keeps the auger from cutting at a angle. Re-opening holes will be no problem. I have never seen person on the ice with the quantum bit/blades having problems drilling. Nor any pitch issues. I have seen some small wobble likely factory design flaw issues with quality control. I have cut over 1500+ holes with Eskimo vipers. Seems to drill well under any ice condition and you dont have to pull the auger up to clear ice during drilling a whole. I also have yet to change the quantum blades going on 3-5 yrs.

I currently have a Solo Lazer pro. I have used the Magnum Solo chipper, Strikelite, & older SM power heads on lazer blades. IMO, the biggest single selling factor for me on SM is the weight & power as to why I chosed the Solo Lazer pro. On the lazer blades they seem to dull easier and have more difficult time cutting on dirty ice. Both chipper and shaver blades will require you at some point to apply some minimal down pressure to cut. No big deal. SM's seems to have alot of issues with pitch. Seen this more in the older SM's then new models. Almost everytime I go out on the ice I will see a fellow have issue drllling and applying what appears to be heavy downforce to drill. My first guess is as usual pitch or blades. But I have also seen guys do this with appears to be fairly new SM solo augers. The biggest downfall is the chipper blade. Although it can re-open holes I find it slow even if on a lazermag/lazer pro head and tedious work to drill.
If the blade isnt clear of just any ice on it your gonna have some difficulty cutting ice. Clearly the lazer blades are they way to go if you have a SM. My Lazer Pro cuts very well with minimal down presssure and I have cut at least 1000 holes with it so far. I am seeing some minor wear on the blades and always bring a backup of brand new set just in case. There is some minor wobble and occasionally you have to pull the auger to clear ice out to drill. Because I run an gun often the 26lbs played a heavy factor in me choosing the Laser pro over the likes of other augers. Imma best that someday with the Tanaka/Nils setup at 21lbs .

Auger bit/blades - Mako
Ergonomics design - Solo Magnum
Weight - Solo Magnum
Drilling & power - Mako
Quality & customer service - both equal
Price vs value - Mako

My choice here with the edge again would be the Mako without a doubt. Your just gonna have less work and effort when drilling with the Mako over the chipper Solo Magnum. Your gonna have to drop extra $100+ to get a shaver lazer pro gas drill unit to be on par with the Mako.

You can find the Z51 Eskimo for $270-$280 new currently. So im sure you can find the Mako Eskimo @ $230-$250 at the end of the season. I have never seen a Solo Lazer Mag (not Magnum) sell close to those prices at clearance which would be the Z51 closest competition.

Posted on: 2012/3/23 13:42

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page