Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Auger leaking gas
LSF Member
From Park Rapids, MN
I just bought a brand new Eskimo Mako 10" auger. If I leave it standing up, I can start it in one or two pulls. If I lay it down, no matter which way I set it (gas tank up or down) I've noticed gas leaking on the ice (the little rainbow patterns that spread over the top of the water). If I leave it lying down like this for any period of time, it takes sometimes 20 pulls to get it started and I've tried with the choke on, off and in between. If I lay it with the gas tank down, it drips out of the cap, but I can't get the cap on any better than it already is. If I lay it with the gas tank up, it seems like the gas runs down into the engine and it almost seems like it leaks MORE that way. Does anybody know any way to prevent this or is this a common problem? BTW, this is my first gas auger, so I'm new to it.

Posted on: 2012/12/2 16:55
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Auger leaking gas
LSF Member
From BUFFALO
I had the same problem with my mako, I bought a new gas line and grommet for the tank and also a new gas cap all for around 25 with shipping from eskimo.com. it fixed the problem and now it doesnt leak. if its new enough see it its under warrenty

good luck

Posted on: 2012/12/2 16:59

LSF Member
From BUFFALO
And put the tank side down

Posted on: 2012/12/2 17:00

LSF Member
From Willmar Area
I had one that leaked also,I put a shut off valve on the fuel line between the tank and carb.$2.00 fix

Posted on: 2012/12/2 18:09

LSF Member
I also had this same problem with my Eskimo, i put a new gas cap on last year and it fixed the problem. But i have noticed the same thing with the gas leaking from the carb and was hoping to try to fix that also.

Posted on: 2012/12/2 19:36

LSF Member
I've got a 30+ yr. old Eskimo that started leaking a few years back. I did the same as Dew2 & put a shut off valve on the gas tank/line. One of the easiest fixes you can do and it takes about 5 minutes.

Posted on: 2012/12/2 19:57

LSF Member
I never thought of the shut off valve idea, i'm gonna give that a try. Thanks for sharing guys.

Posted on: 2012/12/3 8:49

LSF Member
From St. Michael, MN
I bought a Mako two seasons ago. I saw end of last season, that it was leaking a bit on my wheeler when it was mounted. I figured I had not secured the cap, or whatnot. But, over the summer it leaked all it's gas. (I keep it full of gas w/SeaFoam over the summer.)

I talked to the Eskimo rep at the Ice Show yesterday, and he said it is actually a common problem with todays gas, and I would need to order a new tank, grommets, and lines, and it was about $35 roughly.

Alright, $35 isn't the end of the world, BUT....if this is a common problem....why isn't there some sort of recall? I dont want to spend 10% again on my auger that is just two years old, for a "common problem" in which they are apparently very aware.

Looks like if I want my auger to perform as it is supposed to....its up to me and more of my money to fix their "common problem".

Great customer service, Eskimo.

- Chris

Posted on: 2012/12/3 9:06

LSF Member
From St. Michael, MN
UPDATE: So, I bit the bullet and ordered my necessary parts from Eskimo. I talked to Sherry, the Customer Service rep who placed the order, and she said yes it is a common problem, and no, there is no recall. I told her what the Eskimo rep told me at the show, and she said the leaking gas is actually due to the bolts they used to mount the gas tank.

OK....so, let me get this straight....(and yes, this is what I told her)...I now have to buy a new replacement tank kit and fix it myself, due to the existing parts failing due to your design flaw, and fix your product to how it should have been made in the first place? She said if I want it to stop leaking, yes. And there is no recall? No.

I say design flaw, because they have now changed their design on how the tank is mounted, which she said I also need to drop the transmission in order to get it to fit properly.

AGAIN....Eskimo Customer Service. You have lost my business, and they can happily kiss my aaaaauger.

Posted on: 2012/12/4 15:23

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page