Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Tip ups for 'eyes
LSF Member
From West Fargo, ND
I know most people like tip ups for northerns more than 'eyes, but we love throwing out tip ups when targeting them to cover more water and there's nothing like seeing a flag up! Anyways, what's everybody's favorite presentation on a tip up for walleyes? lure/bait/depth...not necessarily overall depth, but how far off the bottom does everybody like? We tend to set em a foot up with just a plain hook and either a fathead/shiner/small sucker, but just curious as to what other people have found works best for them! Thanks guys!

Posted on: 2014/12/8 14:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Tip ups for 'eyes
Field Staff
From Willmar, MN
I use pretty much the same setup. Braided tip up line tied to a 8 pound test leader using a barrel swivel with weight above it. It kind of depends on the fish but usually a plain hook or jig is about 12 inches off the bottom tipped with fathead or shiner.

Posted on: 2014/12/8 14:16

2015 Team Archery Contest Winner
2016 Team Archery Contest Winner

LSF Member
From Hugo, MN
I have coated nylon on all my tipups which go to a barrel swivel. On my walleye tipups I have 8lb Flouro down to a small treble hook with a fathead rigged 6inches to a foot off bottom.

Posted on: 2014/12/8 14:27

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
I use a 6lb mono leader to a single usually colored hook. Favorites are chartreuse, pink or red. Add enough weight for the size minnow you are using to keep it down. I usually set mine 12-18" off bottom on less clear lakes and 2-3 feet off the bottom on clearer lakes. Shiner, biggest fathead in the bucket, or smaller sucker minnow.

Posted on: 2014/12/8 14:42

LSF Member
From my experience, I have caught more limits of walleyes on flags than anything else. Bright colored nylon coated line, 2 foot mono leader, then either a plain hook or a gem-n-eye. 2 big fatheads or a shiner. Foot off the bottom

Posted on: 2014/12/8 14:48

Pro Staff
From Brainerd, MN
Tip-ups for walleyes are a must for me. I always use tip-ups in a different depth, usually shallower, than where I am jigging.

I tend to use pretty much the same set up as everyone else: Heavy tip-up line to a 6 or 8 pound flourocarbon leader. Usually just use a colored hook (usually red) along with a glow bead. Shiners, suckers, or rainbows are what I normally use.

I, however, typically set mine a little higher off of the bottom. About the lowest I will go is about 2 feet off of the bottom. Usually about 3 feet off, and at times as much as 4 to 6 feet off bottom. Walleyes almost always feed "up" and when they are hunting they are rarely hugging bottom.

Posted on: 2014/12/8 15:15

LSF Member
From Crystal, MN
I use a forrage minnow type spoon/jig. Tip it with a rainbow minnow by pushing the hook tip in through the back of the dorsal and forwrad until you end up with the hook tip facing the back.

Posted on: 2014/12/8 15:19

From Anoka,MN
My setup is similar to most here. I use very light braid with color depending on water which one I would use than a slipshot 8" above the hook. Now for bait it depends what I can find rainbows is what I perfer but fattest of fathead or small sucker. Shiners tend to die to easily so I use them for jigging. Normally 6" off bottom. I use tip ups for my dead sticks essentially normally within 25 yards to my house. Just remember get those tip up lights for the after dark bite.

Posted on: 2014/12/8 16:26

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page