Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Boat fuel additives how many do I need?
LSF Member
OK I got a new Yamaha 30 hp 4 stroke. I had a 20 hp Yamaha before I was told to use Yamaha lube fuel stabilizer, ring free and mercury Quickleen. Now I'm told just to use ring free every other tank and to use fuel med RX by Yamaha. I believe med RX and Yamalube fuel stabilizer are they not the same thing? Very confused and don't want to spend money or look like a mad scientist when I fill up a 3 gallon tank I also only use non oxy gas.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 11:20
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Boat fuel additives how many do I need?
LSF Member
From Savage, MN
I run non-oxy gas, Seafoam and Amsoil in everything I own and have never had a problem.

Posted on: 2016/3/18 13:03

LSF Member
From St Louis Park, MN
Never have used either product. Have always used seafoam and non oxy when I can find it.
Quick search says that fuel med rx is a fuel stabilizer and designed for ethanol enriched gasoline. If your already running non oxy gas then I would say just run seafoam.

But In your case I would go with the manufacturer specs since it is a brand new motor and they aren't cheap to fix!!

Posted on: 2016/3/18 14:23

LSF Member
Non-Oxygenated Gas is the most important "additive" you can run. Reformulated Gas is crap...

Personally I do use Seafoam, and Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant.

I've heard 10th hand that Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant has saved 2 stroke direct oil injection powerheads when the oil jet plugged up. Kept them lubed enough to not burn up without oil in the mix.

All I know personally is that the 5.7 iForce in my Tundra really quieted down on cold starts when I added UCL to my tank. The rest of my engines also run great with 91 Non-Oxy, Seafoam, and Lucas UCL.

I've also used Lucas UCL in my buddies Jiffy auger, it was running like dog crap, he couldn't keep it running past half throttle.

I did a tune on it, new plug, and up mixed some Husqvarna 95 octane chain saw gas from 50:1 to 40:1, added UCL, and that auger is running like new.

How much the UCL helped, I don't know, that Husqvarna 95 octane premix is some awesome gas, and a new plug never hurts.

Buddy at work has run 100LL Aviation Gas in his small engines, says it's the cats meow. Engines run great and if you let it evaporate, it leaves no residue. Too spendy for me though at $5-6 a gallon...

In the end most additives are made just to combat the crap gas you get out of most pumps. If you can run 91 Non-Oxy all the time you'll be fine without much else other then some Stabil for storage.

Posted on: 2016/3/31 1:07

LSF Member
From cove bay lake mille lacs
My opinion, none. It can't hurt, but I don't think it is necessary and it is really expensive

Posted on: 2016/4/7 16:16

LSF Member
From Blaine
I agree that non-oxy gas is the most important for small engines. 4 stokes are the way to go nowadays with how efficient and durable they are just run a good oil like amsoil and you shouldn't have any issues. I think additives like upper cylinder lube and seafoam can't hurt every few tanks I use them and can't say how well they actually work, but everything I use them in runs healthy and clean.

Here is a website that has a list of all non-oxy gas stations. When you can, run non-oxy in all small engines I don't think it's as important for cars and trucks, but for small engines I don't run anything else. I always keep some 6 gals at home with non-oxy. I'm convinced that ethanol is the culprit in poor running small engines in most cases.

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MN

Posted on: 2016/4/7 16:45

LSF Member
Quote:

Cokes wrote:
I agree that non-oxy gas is the most important for small engines. 4 stokes are the way to go nowadays with how efficient and durable they are just run a good oil like amsoil and you shouldn't have any issues. I think additives like upper cylinder lube and seafoam can't hurt every few tanks I use them and can't say how well they actually work, but everything I use them in runs healthy and clean.

Here is a website that has a list of all non-oxy gas stations. When you can, run non-oxy in all small engines I don't think it's as important for cars and trucks, but for small engines I don't run anything else. I always keep some 6 gals at home with non-oxy. I'm convinced that ethanol is the culprit in poor running small engines in most cases.

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MN

X2

Excellent link.

It's getting harder to find stations that have "true" 91 Non-Oxy. You have to look for the B&W sticker that says "Only for use in small engines, boats, collector vehicles, ect..."

If the 91 Octane Pump just says "No Ethanol". Then it's still oxygenated, ie... Reformulated Crap. Burns cleaner in bigger motors, but all that O2 just causes the gas to varnish up in storage.

Read the directions on a bottle of Gas-Stable, it tells you to fill your tank over 90% full to keep the air out, it's the O2 that causes the gas to oxidize, ie... gum up and varnish.

My winterizing routine is to top the tanks off with Stabil/Seafoam treated Non-Oxy. Get them as full as possible. Then run the carbs dry.

Works great for me, the last carb I had to do a rebuild on was a quad I bought, that had 87 reformulated left in it for 6+ years. That varnish peeled off the float like dried RTV sealant.

Don't think Non-Oxy is just for 4 stokes, for you guys with 2 stoke ice augers, remember. If you burn up the powerhead, 10 to 1 it was running lean because the main jet got plugged. Nothing will plug a main jet faster then varnished gas in the tank!

Posted on: 2016/4/7 22:08

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page