Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Looking to expand
LSF Member
I'm a decent crappie, gil and pike fishermen through the ice but not walleye. I got spoons an glow jig rods and reels but out off 15 attempts at walleye fishing I caught 1 small small one. In in the annandale area I fished cedar, Marie,buffalo but steered clear of Clearwater due to all the structure and no being able to interput it all. Any suggestion or if some one is willing to take a day to show me the ropes that would be sweet

Posted on: 2016/12/6 8:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Looking to expand
LSF Member
From st cloud
My best advise is go somewhere else. First I like to go to big lakes that have a good number of fish I want to catch. Go to millacs or red leach winning, low. These are lakes where they are well populated with eyes. Find a spot or follow the crowds. Throw something down. Spoon or buckshot. Fish with it get a few build your confidence up on it. Then go back to your home area and try. Heck I've had days around the same area where I only get 2 or 3 a day if that. But I'm not that good either but I try. If you insist on finding fish on them concentrate on low light conditions on edges of feeding ledges where they will be chasing after small perch and sunfish. Myself I like to stay 18 and shallower. Hope this helps good luck

Posted on: 2016/12/6 8:33

LSF Member
From Big Lake, MN
I think you are in the same boat as many of us, especially metro folks. I always try to have a jigging stick targeting walleye, sometimes I have my deadstick targeting them too. I never catch them, or if I do, they are 12" or smaller. Then, after 5 hours, I switch to pannies for the rest of the day because I get bored/frustrated. But I agreed with havingfun's reply, to go where the walleye are. We went to Devils, and limited out, and had a blast.

Posted on: 2016/12/6 9:53

LSF Member
From Eden Prairie, MN
Do you have the navionics app for your phone? If not I would suggest downloading it, it will help locating structure much easier and is only $10. For an introduction to clear water I would suggest stating off at BJs bait. Between their landing and Bungalow Island has a lot of really good structure and is easy to get to without a knowing the lake well. I know you said you have spoons and glow jigs, but don't forget about a dead stick or tip up with a simple red hook. Sometimes simplicity is king. Good luck!

Posted on: 2016/12/6 11:19

Staff Team
From Mayer , MN
The small lakes in central Minnesota are very cyclical because they rely heavily on stocking. Word gets out about a hot bite and they get hammered. A couple suggestions are to focus on early ice, once traffic gets heavy the bite often dies. Also you need to capitalize on small bite windows on key spots. Use a tip up on key structure and quietly search around the area with a jigging setup. For the big clear or pressured waters you might need to literally camp out on spots overnight. Some of the best bites on those bodies will be in the middle of the night. Also do as much homework as you can about what lakes were producing this fall as those will be ones to focus on.

Posted on: 2016/12/6 11:52

LSF Member
From Land O Lakes
I was in your same shoes two years ago. I was a river rat with little lake knowledge. I bounced around from lake to lake, targeting classic structure with very little fish to show for it.

Things became productive once i picked one lake and stuck with it. Research some lakes look at walleye numbers and pick 1 or 2. Learn the lake and you will catch fish...

For me, aside from early ice, i seem to do better with a dead stick (red hooked fathead) in the metro area. Also dont forget, as mentioned above, that alot of the Central MN lakes are stocked. I was told that these stocked fish dont always relate to the same structure as the fish in the big lakes up north. In the summer months i was catching walleyes trolling weed edges in 6ft of water, no where else... I came back to these locations in the winter and was very productive. Also timing is key in the metro. Dawn is always most productive for me.

Posted on: 2016/12/6 12:44

LSF Member
From St.Michael, New Ulm
Good info. I kinda agree with the pick a lake or two theory and learn it well when talking outlaying metro eye fishing.

So do you guys hole hop alot during prime time or mostly pick a hole and wait it out? I usually hop around on a few holes before prime time(whenever that may be) and then pick what I think is the best one and wait it out. Then maybe hop a little after prime time again.

If I'm lucky, I usually get one or two keepers early in the year for about 4-5 times out and then give up on eyes. Just looking to learn some more also.

Posted on: 2016/12/6 14:01

LSF Member
From Land O Lakes
I drill all my holes right away and hole hop with a tip up set up shallow and work my way out deeper until dark, Then i set my shack up on my most productive hole and relax. But id like to hear what others do as well.

Posted on: 2016/12/6 14:32

Staff Team
From Mayer , MN
I usually do something similar to watisituya unless it's really blustery. Then I get house setup on my best guess. Weed edges are definitely key structure for stocked walleyes. Many lakes have no prominent bars, reefs or points so you have to find what you can. Also with mapping as great as it is right now, does not show all the structure on many of the smaller lakes. That's where the boat homework really pays off.

Posted on: 2016/12/6 15:13

LSF Member
From Land O Lakes
Also something ive found quite helpful since i bought my new lowrance is Insight Genesis Social maps. These are maps that have been made by fisherman and loaded online for download onto units. If you use navionics and find it to be off check out the lake on here to see if it has been mapped. It is extremely accurate and usually up to date. If you have a lowrance unit you can download the map and get bottom hardness, veg etc....

Do a google search on Insight Genesis and go to social maps...

Posted on: 2016/12/6 15:23

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page