Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Attaching Reels to Ice Rods
LSF Member
From Maple Grove
Quote:

backup63 wrote:
I used the castration bands last year, and I hated the way they gouged the cork. This year I wanted to experiment, so I did one rod with electrical tape, but I put a single layer of blue painter tape on first. For the second rod I used the clam rod tape. It's similar to electrical tape but it is thicker and it doesn't
Leave any residue. The roll was like $5 and works for up to ten rods. I will be using the clam tape exclusively in the future.
Dan

I like the clam tape as well. I cut about a 4" piece then cut it down the middle to get more out of a roll. You can really get it on tight and like 'backup' said it doesn't leave a residue because i believe it only sticks to itself.

Posted on: 2016/12/5 16:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Leech Lake Area
Electrical tape works fine with no damage. If you are worried just put the firs wrap or two sticky side up then sticky side down. Now nothing wil lstick tothe corck. Being an electrician we were always taught sticky side down but hey I am just thinking outside the box here. LOL!!

Posted on: 2016/12/5 16:23

Staff Team
I have had my rubber bands (castration bands) on a few of my reels for years and they don't move whatsoever, slip or anything. They have never dug into my cork handles either. I used to use tape but these work much better and are so easy to put on..........Kirk

Posted on: 2016/12/5 16:28

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Quote:

backup63 wrote:
I used the castration bands last year, and I hated the way they gouged the cork. This year I wanted to experiment, so I did one rod with electrical tape, but I put a single layer of blue painter tape on first. For the second rod I used the clam rod tape. It's similar to electrical tape but it is thicker and it doesn't
Leave any residue. The roll was like $5 and works for up to ten rods. I will be using the clam tape exclusively in the future.
Dan

Painters tape then electrical tape has worked fine for me for years, keep it simple,,,

Posted on: 2016/12/8 16:16

LSF Member
From St Michael
Quote:

getnjiggy wrote:
Quote:

backup63 wrote:
Dan

Painters tape then electrical tape has worked fine for me for years, keep it simple,,,

I did do one rod with the painters tape and electrical tape. It worked fine, but i prefer the slight tackiness of the clam tape. It has a slight grip to it. It's a real positive feel in the hands.

Posted on: 2016/12/8 16:42

LSF Member
From South Central
I use hockey tape, water and cold doesn't hurt it and it offers good grip. It seems to outlast the rod and reel, as I've never had to redo one before.

Posted on: 2016/12/8 17:13

LSF Member
From St.Augusta, Brainerd Lakes Area.
Yup, I do the hockey tape as well. I have been doing it for years now. Very comfy and like PB said, the cold and getting it wet doesn't hurt it one bit.

Posted on: 2016/12/8 17:29

LSF Member
From Saginaw, MN
I am using shrink tube. 1 inch cheapo stuff you find at a discount hardware store. Form fits with no damage and holds tight.

Posted on: 2016/12/8 20:39

From Mpls
Hockey tape for me, but I like the sound of the clam tape.

Posted on: 2016/12/9 16:23

LSF Member
From Hudson WI
Quote:

Kirk wrote:
I have had my rubber bands (castration bands) on a few of my reels for years and they don't move whatsoever, slip or anything. They have never dug into my cork handles either. I used to use tape but these work much better and are so easy to put on..........Kirk

X2 on these!

Posted on: 2016/12/9 16:43

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page