Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Fred's Beds Jan 5-8
LSF Member
From Lake Lillian, MN
Stayed with Nels for 3 nights on our annual trip. As a side note, his new houses are really nice and much more spacious than the sardine cans he previously inherited from the former owner.

Fishing on Thursday was really slow with only 3 fish coming on rattle reels.

Friday's bite was great for us in 25 FOW. It started at 5am when a big pout hit a rattle reel. Between five of us we brought in over 60 fish primarily between 12-15 inches, both walleye and sauger. We ended up keeping about 23. The biggest caught was 20 inches.

The prime bite was 10am-2pm and things really slowed after 3pm. Unlike previous years, we did get a bit of an evening bite and caught a handful of fish between 7-9pm.

The best color lure was gold and the best lure of them all was a JB Lure Gem-N-Eye that was gold with some green and red. That lure, by itself, brought in about 1/3 of the fish.

Saturdays bite was almost non-existent with a total of about 7 coming in.

In all, the trip was a blast and Nels showed us a great time.

Posted on: 1/9 10:31:15

Re: Fred's Beds Jan 5-8
LSF Member
From SE MN
Dead stick with that Gem-N-Eye or jigging with minnow head?

Posted on: 1/11 0:11:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Eagan,Mn
Thanks for the report. I've never stayed with Nels before, but have heard good things. From what I understand, you drive your own vehicles to the houses? Morris Point Correct? I like the fact that you can drive in for dinner and a shower. Did you drive in at all?

Posted on: 1/11 2:40:28

LSF Member
From Brooklyn Center & Isle
Great report, Nels is the man! How far out were you guys fishing? How was the snow on the lake?

Posted on: 1/11 11:01:29

LSF Member
From Lake Lillian, MN
We were using a deadstick with the Gem-N-Eye and it was magic.

When staying with Nels, you launch from Morris Point. His parents own Morris Point so everything is really well-synced and easy. Stop in at Morris Point to get a road pass and give Nels and call and he'll direct you to the house. You drive your own vehicles as long as ice conditions allow. I really prefer this since we can come and go as we please. The resort has a full bar and restaurant which is great. Also, Nels just opened the Wash N'Go which is about 200 yards from the resort that is a full liquor store with washing machines and showers. You literally don't have to go anywhere to get whatever you need.

We didn't do any driving while we were there but have in the past. There is a lot of snow on the lake and you can't go off the beaten path. The winds weren't too bad when I was up there so drifting wasn't a problem.

Our house was about 3/4 of a mile out in 25 fow. When we were leaving they were moving houses further out into 27-30 fow.

As far as the houses, I think there are still some of the old ones in circulation but he's been adding a handful each year. He's up to 22 total. We have a 12x24 six man which was way better than last year's 10x20 six man. The new houses also have rod holders, an oven and some dry erase boards to keep track of fish.

It was a great time and I'll be touching base August 1 to reserve our 2018 trip.

Posted on: 1/11 12:28:45

LSF Member
From Eagan,Mn
Thanks for the responses! I just booked with Nels for January 28 til Feb 1. Can't wait to give it a try.

Posted on: 1/11 20:18:01

LSF Member
From Eagan,Mn
Forgot to ask Nels, do the house have tv/dvd with generator?

Posted on: 1/11 22:16:48

LSF Member
From Lake Lillian, MN
Quote:

Trick wrote:
Brian, The houses have TV DVD in them and the generator is an extra cost each day. I hope that this answers your question. Trick

Spot on. The houses have TV and DVD and the houses are generator ready but do not come with it. I usually bring my Honda and a good extension cord and we're good to go all weekend.

My one recommendation if you bring a generator and want to watch tv is to bring an external speaker because sometimes the volume isn't the greatest. I took a little bluetooth speaker with an auxiliary cord and it worked flawlessly.

Posted on: 1/12 10:26:37

LSF Member
From St. Paul, Hackensack-Longville-Leech
Quote:

BrianPeterson wrote:
Thanks for the responses! I just booked with Nels for January 28 til Feb 1. Can't wait to give it a try.

If you have a couple small house fans bring them along to jimmy rig towards the ceiling....It is tough to keep the entire house the same temp through the night and sometimes when the heater really get's going the guys on tops bunks get roasted up there

Overall like others have said, Nels is a great guy and runs a first class operation

Posted on: 1/12 11:20:50
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Eagan,Mn
Heading up to Freds Beds in the morning until Wednesday. I'll be sure to post a report when I get back.

Posted on: 1/27 22:09:06

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page