Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Red River at Grand Forks- 7-5-17
Pro Staff
From Grand Forks, North Dakota
As expected last weeks rain is helping get the spawn over with and getting the catfish more active. There are many smaller fish to be caught and some bigger ones mixed in but action is steady. Most patterns and locations are delivering fish right now. Give an honest 20 minute sit in spots to let the more sluggish fish find the baits. Active fish will hit right away. Bait does not seem to matter if it is in the right spot.

This weeks heat should also help wrap up the spawn and get everything rolling into mid July and beyond.

Posted on: 7/5 22:08:39
Catfish University
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Red River at Grand Forks- 7-5-17
Staff Team
Great news and hope the rest of your guiding year is safe and busy. Thanks for keeping us up to date on the fishing on that great river....,,..Kirk

Posted on: 7/6 7:33:50

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011

LSF Member
Thanks for keeping us informed on this unique fishing opportunity. I'm towing the boat 100+ miles on Saturday to the Grand Forks area to intentionally try for catfish for the first time. I'm not familiar with the area. Is there are particular access you'd recommend using as a starting point? Is is worth the extra drive to Drayton or in the Grand Forks area just as good? Any other recommendations for a rookie? Thanks!

Posted on: 7/11 22:44:53

Pro Staff
Sorry I missed this one as I have been out of town all week. You will want the downtown ramp at GF for better fishing right now. I would suggest a drive to Drayton the way fishing was when I left but I am sure things have changed again.

Again, Sorry for not getting to this before your trip.

Posted on: 7/15 9:45:27
Catfish University

LSF Member
Thanks for the report. I've been debating on taking my boat out there also.

Posted on: 7/17 7:18:17

LSF Member
I fished the river Saturday as planned. I launched at the Whopper John Little Landing, on the North side of Grand Forks, as Brad's response came after I launched. We got on the water about 7:30 and fished until about 1:30. Fishing was pretty slow. We only managed 4 cats between the three of us. We probably tried 10-12 different spots, but caught all our fish in one spot, 3 of the 4 fish in the span of a half hour. So outside of that spot and that window, it was pretty dead. That said, we had fun and caught some nice fish. It was fun to try something different, and I'll certainly return again in the future.

Attach file:

jpg  218DCF4D-.jpg (402.62 KB)
17395_596d21d43312c.jpg 1536X2048 px

jpg  D82EEFC6-.jpg (460.09 KB)
17395_596d21f23e5fa.jpg 1536X2048 px

Posted on: 7/17 15:46:18

LSF Member
From Thief River Falls
nice cats and thanks for the report!

I must say though that it was pretty daring of you to wear a shirt like that in grand forks....

Posted on: 7/17 15:54:01

Pro Staff
It looks like you did pretty well all things considered. This time of year it works like that. MOVE, MOVE MOVE until you find the spot then try to replicate it the rest of the day. The fish looked very nice.

Again sorry for being late with my response. Been crazy busy and still don't have any end in sight of that.

Good Job

Posted on: 7/18 9:45:02
Catfish University

LSF Member
Thanks Brad. On Saturday, "that spot" was a straight section of river, in the channel itself, about 12-14' deep. We parked there because there was a fallen tree, but we didn't catch any near the tree itself, all were either on the edge of the channel or right in it. Maybe someone else can recreate that pattern, we could only find them in that one spot.

We tried frogs, crayfish and cut goldeye, but all the fish were caught on cut creek chub.

As for team alliances, Grand Forks certainly is enemy territory for me. I've got quite a few shirts that say "Minnesota" or "NDSU", but I wouldn't be caught dead in UND wear!

Posted on: 7/18 10:54:37

Pro Staff
That report does not surprise me a bit. I actually prefer that bite to any other as it is harder to find the fish many people don't think of it. (until now) the water is falling fast so any feeding fish are looking for whatever current they can find. It is a bite that I have been on many times.

Posted on: 7/18 17:59:34
Catfish University

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page