Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

New Years ice fishing trip
LSF Member
Hello, I am planning on heading up to Duluth on Saturday afternoon. Got a hotel room for the night and the plan on doing some ice fishing somewhere between Duluth and lusten.i had a couple ideas of either pike like or caribou lake. It appears that they have decent walleye populations per the mn lake map book that I have. However was also looking for some panfish as well. Anyone have any ideas. Or other lakes to try out. Even interested in some trout fishing thru the ice. Are there spots safe enough for foot traffic on superior?harbors, or marinas that iceis good / safe?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Posted on: 2017/12/28 10:58
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: New Years ice fishing trip
LSF Member
From Duluth
Heard theyíre catching a few crappie on Fish Lake,slot on walleye but both can be had relatively close on the lake. Get on out of High banks resort or the public landing by the dam. Get bait from the Fredenburg Minnowette/gas convenience store. All of the aforementioned places are on the north side of the lake. Easy walk from the public landing,probably want a sled or atv out of High Banks. Good luck

Posted on: 2017/12/28 21:40

LSF Member
Another option is the harbor.This time of year can be very good for walleyes

Posted on: 2017/12/28 21:57

LSF Member
I was just wondering which harbor you are referencing. Is there a public access? How thick is the ice?

Looking to get on some decent fish bites despite the temps.

Posted on: 2017/12/29 8:06

LSF Member
From Duluth
I believe vexman is referring to the Duluth harbor, you can access it off the end of Park Point. Donít know how much ice as Iíve not been down there yet. But did see a couple portables on the river,one had a atv. I would like to think itís at least walkable ice. It didnít get above 0 degrees for 92 hrs straight this week. They fish out of Barkers Island in Superior also right over the bridge.

Posted on: 2017/12/29 20:40

LSF Member
Park point is an early morning bite. Most guys head back to shore by 8 AM. No ice fishing to be had on superior in the Lutsen area. Shore fishing is an option. Thereís some good perch lakes nearby caribou, but they donít plow the roads, so a snowmobile is the only option.

Posted on: 2017/12/30 11:58

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page