Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Ice free opener??
LSF Member
From Crystal
I hope its out by the weekend after opener at least, i am there every year during that week and have always had good luck, i am getting worried though based on the long range forecast

Posted on: 4/16 18:57:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
Yeah, I am afraid a lot of people are out of luck for opener this year. I really don't see anything in the long range forecast to suggest the ice is going to disappear anytime soon.

I have been frequenting Big Sandy Lake recently for Opener, and figured since it has flowage from the Mississippi, that it would be ice free a bit sooner than lakes without flowage. But starting to think that is even a pipe dream.

I do get a kick out of meteorologists still trying to associate this with global warming. I heard it twice, on two different channels last night that this being cold and extra snowy is a strong sign of global warming. That propaganda train will never stop.

Posted on: 4/17 6:48:36

LSF Member
From Crosby
Most northern lakes still are snow covered and have at least 30 inches of ice. In order to have an ice free opener we would have to lose a foot of ice each week for the next 3 weeks. Sorry, not going to happen!
My question is, with walleyes and crappies spawning according to water temps, how will this late late spring effect the spawn. Iím sure there will be many areas that will be protected if they are spawning during the opening weeks. Or will they even spawn?

Posted on: 4/17 8:08:26

LSF Member
I was schooled on this a bit by a conservation officer a few years back. The spawn is not 100% by temperature, it is a factor, but not the only factor. Length of day has some to do with it also. They have documented scientific proof that fish will spawn under the ice on late ice out years. I did not ask the question on whether that affects the actual spawn or not though. But would still expect a late spawn, and your concerns are warranted.

Kind of makes the mid-June Vermilion trip look more promising though.

Posted on: 4/17 8:55:37

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
One issue with fish spawning under ice conditions is lack of oxygen incorporation. Lakes that are frozen with snow on top have a finite amount of oxygen. Sunlight that can penetrate and stimulate plant respiration will increase oxygen, but not as much as wind driven water aeration. That's what most eggs need post spawn for walleyes especially is aeration and water movement. Lakes where walleyes have access to inlets of streams will be fine, those that are land locked may have a poor year class if we have a very late ice out.

Posted on: 4/17 10:15:30

LSF Member
2013 was a late ice off year and produced excellent hatches of walleyes in several lakes and rivers, including land locked lakes. Fish will hold their eggs until the time is right (up until a certain point of course).

Not sure how it affects crappies spawning success but they'll probably get a lot less fishing pressure since their spawning will occur after regular opener.

Posted on: 4/17 13:06:53

LSF Member
From central mn
Should be another banner"YOY" walleye class for mille lacs in 2018.

Posted on: 4/18 11:54:35

LSF Member
Lund just came out with a new boat just for this opener!

Attach file:

jpeg  lund prov.jpeg (54.06 KB)
35284_5ad8c2f763fca.jpeg 800X521 px

Posted on: 4/19 11:26:16

LSF Member
Quote:

I do get a kick out of meteorologists still trying to associate this with global warming. I heard it twice, on two different channels last night that this being cold and extra snowy is a strong sign of global warming. That propaganda train will never stop.

I always get a kick out of the anti-science crowd. Good for some lols.

Anyway, I will be chasing perch on Leech tomorrow. I will let folks know what the ice situation looks like.

Posted on: 4/20 11:45:22

LSF Member
From Garrison
I have a good feeling that there will be open water this opener. Lots of 60's in the forecast. The sun should chew through the ice pretty quick. I'm trying to be optimistic here!

Posted on: 4/23 16:25:36

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page