Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

ISO Quality Hand Fillet Knife
LSF Member
Hey everyone!

This has probably been posted before but thought I'd try again. Looking for recommendations for a good quality fillet knife for my dad. He's against the electric knife. He typically uses a cheap Rapala knife but I think he would really benefit from a good quality steel knife. Looking for any recommendations (no matter the price). Also trying to find a good and easy knife sharpener other then a whetstone. (He's kinda stubborn and any kind of easy knife sharpening system that doesn't ruin the blade would be perfect). Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2018/12/10 10:44
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: ISO Quality Hand Fillet Knife
LSF Member
Leech lake knife is the best I have used not cheap thou.

Posted on: 2018/12/10 10:56

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
I'd also be interested to hear what people use for knife sharpeners. Both for my fillet knives but also for my hunting knives.

Posted on: 2018/12/10 11:04

LSF Member
From Savage, MN
My go to knife for hand filleting has always been the Wustof fillet knife. Scalpel sharp, great precision and, believe it or not, I've never had to sharpen it. Never lost its edge. I bought it for my dad for Christmas probably 15 or 20 years ago. I really only use it for filleting northern pike Y bones. Works great. I've tried a lot of other blades and keep going back to the Wustof. Not cheap but well worth it.

Posted on: 2018/12/10 11:25

LSF Member
I use the Wustof and like it, it's pretty flexible which I like.

Wusthof Classic 7-Inch Fillet Knife With Sheath https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FJOZ7K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_iUPdCbQ7H6M6F

I also have the boning knife for when I don't want flex, it also works great.

Wusthof 4603 Boning Knife, 6 Inch, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005NANS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_6VPdCbS3C0HR2

Good luck

Posted on: 2018/12/10 12:02

LSF Member
From Coon Rapids
I like my Cutco filet knife. adjustable length and has stayed sharp for 3+ years. A year ago I was bored watching infomercials and came across the "Work Sharp" knife sharper. Looked great on TV and for $69.99 decided why not. WOW what a purchase. For those who haven't seen one, it's basically a mini-belt sander for knives. Even a putz like me can sharpen knives sharp enough to shave the hair off my arm. I've let a couple buddies try it, then bought one. Great for hunting knives as well. Planning to buy 2 this X-mas for presents. JohnnyM

Posted on: 2018/12/10 12:13

Staff Team
From Bloomington
Ever Sharp in North East sold me on the Mustad fillet knife. It is several steps below Wustof. I really like it. The one I bought is super flexible and sharp. Holds edge well.

I also have a Leech lake knife that is awesome.

I too have been looking at sharpers. The draw through ones never seem to get a shave your arms edge on them. I hand sharpen my wood chisels so maybe I could do that for fillet knives. For now I have Ever Sharp sharpen them once a year and use a steel to dress the edge when needed.

Posted on: 2018/12/10 12:44

Hunting Field Staff
From Iron Range.
Being somewhat of a sucker for knives, I have experience with quite a variety. Personally, I love the leech lake fillet knife. They are very nice, but pricey. Probably my single favorite for an all-around fillet knife.

For the biggest bang for the buck, though, my vote goes to thw dexter russel sani-safe models. I have a couple that were in the low $20 range and they hold an edge well, are durable, and sharpen nicely. They are a basic workhorse of a knife, but lack any sort of asthetics or craftsmanship. A dexter and a worksharp sharpener would make a great gift pack.

Posted on: 2018/12/10 14:34

LSF Member
My kids bought me a Leech Lake knife a few years ago, it is my favorite-
I also purchased a Dexter knife for Alaska (popular up there), this one is good for bigger fish and less expensive.
As for a sharpener, Google Ken Onion- this thing is the greatest. I can sharpen anything from fillet knives to spud bars.

Posted on: 2018/12/10 15:19

LSF Member
Yeah, the Ken Onion is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I'm gonna go with that one. Still doing some research on all the knives recommended.

Posted on: 2018/12/11 10:10

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page