Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Need help hooking up new 3 bank charger
LSF Member
We determined that my 2 bank charger died. I'd like to replace it with a 3 bank so I can charge my starting battery as well. I'm pretty handy with this stuff but not sure I want to deal with it. I live near minnetonka but had a bad experience with Rapid Marine- any suggestions as to which charger and who could install it?

Posted on: 2/3 14:03:19
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Need help hooking up new 3 bank charger
LSF Member
I had the minnkota MK315 on my last boat and installed it myself with no problem. Just read the instructions.

My current boat has the MK318PC - Precision Charger. I would install this model again. There was nothing wrong with the MK315 but the precision model is better.

If you need faster charge times look at the MK330 (10amps max per battery) or MK345 (15amps max per battery)

From Manual:
Do not shorten the DC output cords, as this can affect charger output.

If the DC output cords are not long enough, they may be lengthened by splicing and soldering 12 AWG (minimum) wire. Each splice should be covered with dual wall adhesive lined heat shrink tubing to protect the joint from corroding. The splice should be made between the fork in the output cable and the fuse holder. The fuse holder should always remain within 7 of the battery terminals. The maximum extension length is 15 feet. You may contact the MinnKota Service Department with any questions.

http://www.lakestatefishing.com/uploads/smil4f2b630400e45.gif

Posted on: 2/6 22:51:37

LSF Member
Chargers are pretty easy to install and Amazon has cheap prices on the Minn Kota chargers right now. There is also a mail-in rebate available from Minn Kota.

Hardest part is mounting it. You don't want to attach it directly to the boat hull as it may eat through the aluminum. You are supposed to mount the charger to plastic or wood and mount that to the boat.

Posted on: 2/7 12:09:04

Staff Team
From Mayer , MN
Fishlectronics or Bill Shimota.

Posted on: 2/7 12:56:14

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page