Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

"Check Engine" alarm/light troubleshooting advice
LSF Member
From Ramsey
I'm running a 1994 Lund Angler II with a 2004 Johnson 50 2-stroke tiller. The boat is equipped with an alarm system which consists of four lights - no oil, water temp, check engine, and low oil. New as of mid-morning today is the constant alarm sound and illumination of the check engine light. Previously when the key was turned on these tested themselves and went out/silent. Now when I turn on the key the alarm continues to sound and the check engine light remains illuminated.

My first thought was blocked water intakes, but they're clear and the engine is moving water through the telltale like it always does. I've had that experience before - where they're blocked and the engine goes into limp mode for lack of the correct term. In this case the engine runs just like it should and the boat moves out well also.

I find nothing of substance about this in the owner's manual and in several internet searches. There was a vague reference to fuel system under vacuum (not venting correctly) but I found no "hiss" when I opened the fuel cap. I disconnected the battery for a few seconds to see if this would reset the system, but when I turn on the key I still have the same conditions.

Any ideas as to the possible cause and how I can go about trouble shooting this?

Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 7/7 14:46:30
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: "Check Engine" alarm/light troubleshooting advice
LSF Member
The three things that I found out there.

Making oil...oil level too high.

MAP sensor

Trim not all of the way down.

Posted on: 7/7 15:52:44

LSF Member
From Ramsey
Well, for anyone who finds this thread in the future - it turned out to be a bad system alarm unit. I've learned on another site that in my setup that oil and temp are monitored and there is no sensor which trips the alarm for the generic "check engine" function. I bought a new one on ebay ($32.95 plus $8 shipping - as opposed to $139 from traditonal retailers) and this corrected the problem.

Just FYI.

Posted on: 7/18 21:22:12

LSF Member
From Farmington MN
Thanks for the followup. A lot of times we read about the problem but never see the solution.

Posted on: 7/19 13:08:15

LSF Member
Sweet!!

Glad you got it fixed!

Posted on: 7/23 9:20:41

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page