Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Well this should screw up the ice!
LSF Member
Search Results
Public Alerts
Winter Storm Warning
Minnesota
HOLIDAY TRAVEL WILL BE BE SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACTED TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY DUE TO HEAVY SNOW AND ... Total snow accumulations of 4 to 7 inches, with locally higher amounts ...

Posted on: 11/25 19:36:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Well this should screw up the ice!
Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Meh. It's been warm there isn't much ice anyway.

Posted on: 11/26 10:57:30

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
Might make for some dangerous situations and poor ice quality. If it sticks around, but looking at the forecast wind speeds, it might just blow right off the lakes.

Posted on: 11/26 13:07:28

LSF Member
From SE Metro
arneb04 i was thinking the same thing. if the wind holds, whatever lakes that have ice on them it should blow over for the most part. need cooler temps.

Posted on: 11/27 8:53:47

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Will this wet, heavy, sticky stuff blow off the lakes?

Posted on: 11/27 9:19:44

Staff Team
From Annandale
No, it will not

Posted on: 11/27 10:23:09

Staff Team
From Bloomington
I hope it doesn't affect the ice we already had. We have had such good ice lately.

I do not want the slush layer under the snow again. That was a crazy year.

Posted on: 11/27 10:35:59

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
I think it depends on where you guys are talking about. A lot of the lakes I fish had pretty much lost their ice or weren't really iced up. I'd expect this heavy snow to sink any of that ice and the lakes start over from there. Central MN might have problems though as there was already enough ice for people to walk out on those lakes. How much snow did central MN get though?

Posted on: 11/27 10:59:54

Staff Team
From Annandale
It's not so much just this snow, it's the weekend forecast that is going to ruin any good ice that we've had. If the forecast holds and some of those lakes end up getting 6"-12" of snow on days with temps in the low 30's, forget about it. It will take a month to gain one to two inches at 0 degrees. Luckily, down here, no ice to speak of yet so we're dodging the bullet. On the bright side, the snowblower threw snow like a champ this morning. So I've got that going for me...which is nice

Posted on: 11/27 15:22:08

LSF Member
From SE Metro
Yes this is all dependent on where you live. No, heavier snow doesn't blow off the ice as well and yes if you had some ice and then this snow, it is not good. As mentioned some places that didn't have much ice the snow will force it down and start over. The forecast looks sketchy at best, especially if we get the rain in the south central/central part of the whole state, with more snow to the north. The 2 spots I checked last week in the south metro I won't even think of checking for awhile. May have to travel far north had a few buddies that did well on Red last weekend. Be safe out there and use cation. We just put the boat away last weekend and did manage some decent eyes.

Posted on: 11/27 22:15:30

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page