Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Otter vs. Clam
From Mora, MN
Was wondering if anyone has the new otter xt pro ice shelters or the clam Jason Mitchell? In the market to buy a new portable and was wondering about pros and cons. Iím leaning otter but want to get some opinions

Posted on: 2019/12/7 19:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Otter vs. Clam
LSF Member
I have used my Otter the last 3 winters on Lake Wpg and love it. Looked at the up grades on the Otter and it sure looks nice.

Posted on: 2019/12/7 20:04

LSF Member
From mora mn
I have had otters for solid 15 years. First one lasted me 12 years of alot of use. Have a cottage and lodge xt pro that are a few years old and they are great.

Posted on: 2019/12/8 8:35

LSF Member
From nw suburbs
have the new x-over resort and love it and also have a jason mitchell popup both are good. If you want heavy duty go with otter

Posted on: 2019/12/8 9:36

Staff Team
From Bloomington
Otters have always passed the test of time.

I have heard of to many "it broke the first time I used it" about Clam as well as finding the identical product with out the Clam name on it for half the price to ever by a Clam product again.

You get what you pay for.

Posted on: 2019/12/10 9:30

LSF Member
From central mn
true words orandusa,sold my two man fish trap now in the market for a one man flip over but not in a hurry as I sold my truck plus the weather issue,to darn cold to be on the ice lately.,glad you chimed in as I was looking at the clam scout and frabil one man,but now need a looksey at the otter.

Posted on: 2019/12/13 12:06

LSF Member
From Warroad
I've had the opposite experience. I tried one of the Otter hubs when they came out. First one broke in the store when the salesman tried to set it up for me. I grabbed a different one and brought it home and that one broke the first time i set it up. I've had a Clam X300 for 3 years and haven't had a single problem with it.

Posted on: 2019/12/13 15:05

LSF Member
From Elk River
I prefer Clam (Jason Mitchel) which I own over the Otter XT Pro Lodge which I just sold earlier this season. Both are nice in their own ways. I do believe Otter has a better canvas but it ads to much weight to achieve the warmth. Clams canvas weights less and is plenty warm. I think anything over 900 denier is unnecessary. Clam has more comfy seats. I didnít like how the Otter seats limit your rotation and moving side to side is a pain.

Both are way over priced!!

Posted on: 2019/12/14 7:35

LSF Member
Otter is the beast of all brand when it comes to material but does come with a heavier price. Otter can really take a beating.

For Clam, they offer more variety on materials per price. Though it is true that clam has broke often, their customer service is next to nothing. Excellent customer service.

Posted on: 2019/12/15 9:05

LSF Member
From central mn
Seems jason mitchel copies everything Dave Genz does or has done from jigging sticks,to jigs now flip over shacks,I fished with Genz the 1st time in 1990,he let me use his 1st one man trap,wood sled canvas top,thing weighed a ton,was a bitch pulling by hand in snow,then
I bought his 1st two man trap lasted 10+ years,wore the sled out today since Genz sold out to clam corp the quailty seems to be lacking but I like the lite weight on the scout.years ago we only used a white gas lantern for heat that worked fine but lots of heat options today plus thermal insulation.,thinking otter xt but on the fence.

Posted on: 2019/12/16 14:04

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page