Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

humminbird ice flasher
LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
Hey everyone (however many people that is now) I'm looking for some opinions on my flasher unit from a tech/troubleshoot standpoint. I have a humminbird ice-45 that I bought sometime around 2011 or 2012, I don't remember now. I think they hit the market in like 08/09ish? Anyway, I'm hoping the fact that it was an early one doesn't hurt me. So this year I have been having quite a bit of trouble with the unit and I'm not sure what's going on. When I get out fishing, I will turn the unit on, and it might read out just fine. In this scenario, after fishing for a few minutes or just disrupting the unit it will mostly go blank except for a green line at the bottom and the red top line that's always there. If I crank the gain up to max I will see things a little better, but a small jig will never show up. If I turn on the "Zoom" feature I will then get much more color and clarity and the jig will show up but still only if the gain is maxed out. Sometimes, after a half hour or longer it will start to work again. Other times, it will not it just stays as it is. I've taken the plugs out, cleaned them, charged it, the battery is good, everything seems to be fine with the unit. If I start it in demo mode, it looks just fine and the gain returns to a normal readout if I adjust it around. At this point, I want to believe that my troubles are all transducer. The one opportunity I had to try a different transducer (my dads) the unit decided to act perfectly fine for the duration of our fishing trip so it wouldn't have told me anything. Still sorta mad about that. He's done fishing for the year and I don't want to chance $100 that the ducer isn't the problem. Anyone have any ideas? Ducer, or something else??

Side note of extreme annoyance, from what I have found the only place authorized to work on humminbirds is the humminbird hq in Alabama. They want an ungodly $270 + shipping (to and from) to fix the unit. Basically what that tells me is they won't stand behind it at all, just buy a new one. That's a joke. And I won't, I already picked up a Marcum M5 on sale to bridge the gap. I like the humminbird unit but that type of practice is just wrong.

Posted on: 3/23 9:51:32

Re: humminbird ice flasher
LSF Member
From Mora - Knife lake
You could try fishlectonics in Columbia heights. They have a website also.

Posted on: 3/23 12:59:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Staff Team
From Bloomington
I had issues with a ICE-45. It was the knob though. I bent over and paid the $174.00 flat fee. I have used an ICE-55 for years with no trouble.

If we were closer I would let you hook up my ducer to test.

Good Luck.

Posted on: 3/24 14:59:08

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
I was actually wrong on the cost. I just looked up the price list again, and it's actually $290.45 for the ICE-45 model.... that does not include getting it there, or back.

Posted on: 3/25 9:48:13

Staff Team
From Bloomington
Wow I just had mine in late fall and it was $174.

Posted on: 3/25 12:05:01

LSF Member
From central mn
sad deal,I suspect its your ice ducer but why would you purchase such a locator with questionable longevity over the well proven top dog vexilar flasher? for saving a couple bucks? just curious as it sucks having you locator take a shetes on ya.in the 30 years using the vex only issue I had was my fault dropping the ice ducer on a ice skimmed hole and cracked it, to lazy to use a ice scoop

another thought is try scrubbing the built up scum off your ducer,that may help right away.

Posted on: 3/25 12:23:09

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
Wow, congrats on owning the "top dog". Everyone has their preference I guess. Should be stated that I purchased my humminbird to replace a Si-Tex FL-5 which still operates fine BTW. I gave it to my brother. Point being, I had the history to determine whether I would buy a vexilar brand product or not. I decided paying for features was more important, many of which vexilar did not offer in any of their flashers at the time and some they still do not. Thanks for the help though.

Posted on: 3/25 13:48:32

LSF Member

Posted on: 3/25 20:31:26

LSF Member

Posted on: 3/25 20:32:37

LSF Member

Posted on: 3/25 20:33:40

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page