Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Mille Lacs outing with my son
Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
I have a 3 year old and I took him on his first overnight ice fishing outing to mille lacs on wednesday 1/27. I went all out, rented an ice castle through beachside resort that had satellite TV in it so when he got bored he could watch a little TV. We had a great time, fishing, playing outside, eating pizza, and catching fish. Unfortunately all of the fishing action came well after his bedtime but he was awake for a few of them. From 9pm to 2am it was pretty steady. Landed 13 walleyes and missed 2-3, all on the rattle reels. Biggest was 22", most were 16-18". One of the better nights I've ever had on Mille Lacs. Just wish I could have gotten him to catch one jigging. Oh well next time as he didn't want to leave he did ask when I was taking him up there again

We were in 24' of water, 3-4" sucker minnow on plain red hook 6" off the bottom caught 10 of the 13 fish. A glow jig from JR's caught the other 3. It's funny every year I spend lots of money on new jigs but on Mille Lacs a plain read hook always wins.

Ice was the worst I've seen on Mille lacs this time of year. Our road was fine and we had good ice under the ice house but only about 15" and did find as little as 12-13" off road when we were screwing around drilling holes. Hard to believe january is almost over and that's all the ice we have.

Good luck.

Posted on: 1/30 9:04:28
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Mille Lacs outing with my son
LSF Member
Glad you had a great trip!!

Yes, my experience has been the same. The plain red hook and a minnow wins on Mille Lac for me every time.

The only time I put a jig on is with a minnow head or wiggles for Perch.

Keith

Posted on: 1/30 9:52:10

LSF Member
We have always done pretty good everywhere with the gamakatsu plain red hook. lol

Posted on: 1/30 11:03:08

LSF Member
From Walker, MN
Quote:

BuckslayerBob wrote:
We have always done pretty good everywhere with the gamakatsu plain red hook. lol[/quote

Thats a good hook BuckslayerBob......

Posted on: 1/30 12:20:22

LSF Member
Wow, you are still on here? I haven't been here for 5 years. We hit Rush last night. I'll send you pics.

Posted on: 1/31 11:02:52

LSF Member
Quote:

BuckslayerBob wrote:
Wow, you are still on here? I haven't been here for 5 years. We hit Rush last night. I'll send you pics.

East or West and how was the ice?
Thx!

Keith

Posted on: 1/31 12:02:33

LSF Member
From Walker, MN
Quote:

BuckslayerBob wrote:

Sounds good that lake gets pounded. Dont post much here anymore just read and try and stir the pot if I get a chance... Perch bite on Leech has been good.. Seen the pics nice crappies....

Posted on: 1/31 15:06:34

LSF Member
You're exactly right! I do the same except for this year. I usually hit the ice expos and buy new lures every year, but with not shows this year, I didn't spend a dime.

Plain Red hook on a bobber is equals success on the top Minnesota Walleye lakes for me.

Posted on: 1/31 19:32:20

LSF Member
From Walker, MN
Quote:

Ceeber wrote:
You're exactly right! I do the same except for this year. I usually hit the ice expos and buy new lures every year, but with not shows this year, I didn't spend a dime.

Plain Red hook on a bobber is equals success on the top Minnesota Walleye lakes for me.

Yes sir keep it simple...

Posted on: 1/31 20:56:58

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page