Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Sturgeon Fishing
LSF Member
From Anoka
Hi, I've never fished for Sturgeon, but am going to try it this May. Can anyone tell me about fishing for them? Water depth? Bait? Technique? Should a blade be added for some flash? Line color? Location on the river? ETC. My buddies and I will be staying at The Sportsmans Lodge, and have been told that the best way is just nightcrawlers sitting on the bottom is a good way to fish. Any information would help and be appreciated. Thanks, Todd

Posted on: 2008/1/29 17:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Sturgeon Fishing
Staff Team
mnelkhunter, First of all we wish you could make it to the first ever Eric Parrott Sturgeon event but if you can't here is a few pointers. Water depth find the deepest hole u can. Bait is night crawlers around 3 of them on a 3/0 circle hook. No blade is needed at all. Alot of people used 80 and 100lb pro line I used 20Lb cajun red and had a blast. No roll sinkers and a 10 inch leader was the ticket. Any thing you need just pm me and I will fill you in on what worked for us. Eric and I landed 43 Sturgeon and 10 over 50 inches I believe. We had a blast. We are not pros but we do have one year under our belts and will tell you what worked last year. I wish you could make it to the first annual LSF Eric Parrot Sturgeon event it will be one to remember I promise. They bite like perch so a sensitive rod is a must. 2oz no roll sinkers to 5 oz no roll sinkers will work (depends on the current). I use circle hooks only and never lost a fish last year. Any more questions just pm me I will fill you in.

STURGEON: FISH OF A THOUSAND WORMS

Posted on: 2008/1/29 18:08

LSF Member
From brainerd, mn
When you reel in, make sure you figure 8 at the boat awile to catch all the followers, it'll impress your friends.

Posted on: 2008/2/18 10:17

LSF Member
From Litchfield, MN
I also am planning a first time trip to catch sturgeon. My son was in International Falls last year the last week of April doing NDT testing at the paper mill and stayed at the Holiday Inn. He wached people fish from shore in the Rainey there behind the motel and had to give it a try. Bought a cheap rod a K-Mart as he didn't have his own things with him and managed to catch one fish 47", he also was using nightcrawlers. I take it that you when you say to find the deepest hole you can find you must be fishing from a boat. After hearing my sons adventures I hope to do the same, my question is, is there a paticular time to look for, water temp to watch, etc. to optomize the catch rate potential?

Posted on: 2008/2/20 21:44

LSF Member
From Southcentral, MN
April is a great time to get'em. Just as the ice is leaving the river and opening into the lake. Either fish the Rainy River or the bay where the river meets LOW. The fish are pretty well schooled up at that time of year and if you land into the right school of fish like we did last year, you can really get into some hot and heavy action on the pigs.

Yes, we fished from a boat last year. The river and current were way down last year. But, we tried to find the deeper holes and the bases of the breaks and stumbled upon the motherload the last 1.5 days. Keep your eyes peeled too. We saw a lot of fish surfacing (big ones...some bigger than what we caught!).

And another thing, be sure to cast your line out away from the boat.....right Kirk? You'll increase your hooking percentage with those circle hooks. And oh yes, no jerking or laying into a fish with circle hooks. You'll completely miss'em if you try. Just reel up until you feel the fish's weight on the end of your rod, then do a large sweeping hookset if you feel the need to "lay into'em". It aint hook sets like you see with pro bass guys such as Mike Iakonelli (sp?).

And one last thing.....if any of you get a big one on, no need to rush for the net. Just kick back with a cold one until you or your buddy has the fish wore out. Or call all your buddies on the cell phone, eh Kirk? Or better yet, whomever has the fish on, work around everyones lines and try to double up on a couple 50"+ fish! Kirk and I made that work last year.

Posted on: 2008/2/21 3:01

LSF Member
From Anoka
Thanks for the info Eric, This last Sunday, March 16th, 3 friends and Me were fishing the Croix out of Bayport for crappies, and Brad caught a sturgeon. Only about 36 incher, but that was fun. I'm really looking forward to my trip to the Rainey now. Thanks again. Todd

Posted on: 2008/3/18 19:05

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page