Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Fish Freeze Out
LSF Member
From Fairmont, MN
From what I have been hearing quite a few of the lakes around the Fairmont area are in bad shape.

Iowa lake just south of Fairmont on the Iowa border is rumored to have 100 percent fish kill.

A lot of people are reporting smelling dead fish after popping holes in some of the shallower lakes around the area.

The Fairmont chain in town has aerators going in at least two lakes from what I have heard so that should help a little.

Can anyone support or dispute what I have been hearing? I sure hope it gets warmer soon.

Posted on: 2008/2/13 10:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Fish Freeze Out
Pro Staff
From Southern MN
Here is the list the DNR put out. Just because some lakes are not on the list doesn't mean they are not dead or dying though. I think there will be a bunch this year. Lots of ice, lots of snow = winterkills.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/liberalized/index.html

Posted on: 2008/2/13 10:23

jimmyrig@lakestatefishing.com

LSF Member
From Fairmont, MN
Yeah I have seen that list. Nothing in Martin county listed yet which is why I was wondering if anyone else had heard anything.

Posted on: 2008/2/13 10:25

LSF Member
From Southcentral, MN
That has been a concern of mine...like Jimmyrig stated. Ice & snow causing winterkills.

That's why at this time of year, your better fishing will probably be on the larger lakes...ones that can sustain oxygen levels better.

Hopefully there won't be too many winterkill lakes this year. Time will tell I guess.

Posted on: 2008/2/13 10:58

LSF Member
From SO CEN MN
Hey, Some lakes could use it! It's sad to say.

Posted on: 2008/2/18 8:50

LSF Member
From Fairmont, MN
Could someone please help me to understand how some of the lakes could use it?

My understanding is that while some of the fish survive the low oxygen levels they tend to be the smaller game fish and mostly all of the rough fish like bullheads and carp. How would a lake dominated by bullheads and carp be good for a lake? Have I been misinformed?

Posted on: 2008/2/26 14:32

LSF Member
A partial kill doesn't help. But a good hard kill is like Shutdown/Restart on the computer. Most of these lakes are dominated by bullheads and carp regardless. A hard kill will almost eliminate these fish only a few clustered near field tile lines that drain into the lake will survive. The stocked fry that are put into the lake have no competition and grow EXTREMELY fast, one year old walleyes will be 9 inches and keeper size after two summers. Jumbo Perch in South Dakota, same type of circumstance new water is very fertile. Winterkilled lakes aren't as fertile but come close.

Posted on: 2008/2/27 14:52

LSF Member
From Fairmont, MN
Thanks for the clarification kobear. I guess now we wait and see.

Posted on: 2008/2/28 8:05

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page