Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Smelt Reports
LSF Member
From Missoula
So when do the smelt start running? I'm new to the Duluth area and would like to try for some this spring. I know that the smelt run is nowhere near what it used to be, but still wanna try it. Any advice/tips would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2008/4/1 15:30

Farmer- n., Someone who is out-standing in his field.

Snook and or Redfish On The Brain!
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Smelt
LSF Member
From Somerset, WI
I've been told to watch the water temps! Some guys say the temps should be between 48 and 52 degrees when they run.

Posted on: 2008/4/1 23:02

LSF Member
From Eveleth, Mn.
When the water temp hits 42-44 degrees, and holds that temp through the night. They should begin to run.

Posted on: 2008/4/2 7:07

LSF Member
From Missoula
Thanks guys. I guess you just wade out there with a net and start scooping, and hope you get lucky?

Posted on: 2008/4/2 8:44

Pro Staff
From Duluth
Usually about 2 weeks before opener is when the water temps are right. But of course this is depending upn the weather. But that's when it's been good the past 4 years.

We should all get together and drag a net.

Posted on: 2008/4/2 8:57

LSF Member
From Missoula
Definitely skinny, let me know!

Posted on: 2008/4/2 10:17

LSF Member
From Isanti
Last year my husband and I tried it for the first time. We had just a regular seine net, but did not do as well as expected... but lots of other folks were getting buckets full. I guess they are the pros. Many of them doing well had the net with the "sock" built into it. I think I will order one of those this week. Last year they hit the first week of May- around the 3rd or 4th I believe. Does anyone have any statistics of other dates from previous years? Does anyone have any good estimate of dates' based on this years weather so far? Just trying to get a feel if it will be later or earlier...

Posted on: 2008/4/7 13:56

LSF Member
From iron range
as a kid i remember going to my uncles in silver bay for smelting. with 6 kids my mom had to pack everything but the kitchen sink, the stationwagon would be full to the top.
i recall every scoop of the net brought up a good load of them. us younger kids were assigned the task of sitting on the full buckets to keep them from jumping out.
than it was cleaning time siblings and cousins lined up , each with a step of the task, we would do this for a really long time.
when all the cleaning was done the first smelt fry of the season would happen, oh how very tasty!

Posted on: 2008/4/7 19:20

LSF Member
From Plymouth, MN
Has anyone been checking the water temp in the steams running into the big lake. Just really excited to get a chance to get my net wet and catch some smelt

Posted on: 2008/4/8 10:15

LSF Member
From Duluth
fishorsink- Welcome to LSF! I have been checking some trib temps and they have been consistently between 32-33.5. There is still ice in most rivers and the run-off is in still in its early stages. It will be a while yet. I would be guessing another 2-3 weeks before the smelt start running hard.

Posted on: 2008/4/8 10:26

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page