Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Island Lake Report 5/10
LSF Member
From duluth
i just got off island and wow was that cold! 2-3 foot waves made it pretty tough to fish in a 14 foot boat. We had to bring the 16 footer in for repairs and had to take the 14 footer, bad day for that ended up with six eyes and one around 23 inches which was a nice fish. The fish were pretty finicky today i missed about 30 and landed six. chartruse jig and a chub worked best today.

Posted on: 2008/5/12 20:54
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

We caught fish in six different spots. One of the best was off my dock. 5-8 fow with a jig and chub or a slip bob and minnow. Didn't fish Sunday but heard it was much tougher after the front moved through.

Sounds like last night was good dispite the wind and cold.

Posted on: 2008/5/13 13:47

LSF Member
From duluth
ya it wasnt great but we got a few. it was hailing and snowing also.

Posted on: 2008/5/13 14:07

LSF Member
From elk river
I'm going to take a stab and see if you guys have any suggestions on where to find any smallies this time of year on Island. My BASS club has a small tourney up there this Sunday (8 boats) and I am wondering if anyone is willing to share where to start looking on Island. I've never fished it. Any help would be appreciated...

Posted on: 2008/5/13 18:57

LSF Member
From duluth
for myself, i have never done very good with smallies until the water warms up. I may catch one here or there jigging for walleye but until june i rarely catch any. I have gotten numerous 20 and 21 inchers throwing topwater baits along the shorelines in june and july, but that wont be the case for you this sunday with the water temps still in the high 40's lower 50's. im guessing other guys on here will know how to catch them this year. good luck!!

Posted on: 2008/5/13 22:00

LSF Member
From elk river
thanks for the response. I thikn we'll try up in the river as far as we can get or find some large flats on the north/east end of the lake. If you see me (gray/silver/white nitro 901) on Sat or Sun, feel free to stop me and say hi. I doubt we'll have much luck, but we'll still be fishing...

Posted on: 2008/5/14 20:17

LSF Member
From duluth
ok i will! im going to be out forsure on sunday so if i see you i will say stop by. Yeah, im guessing they should be in the river or by the mouth where it comes into island lake, like i said i do good casting topwaters like the rapala skitter pop in the summer, but the water may be too cold for that. Another thing you could try is casting husky jerks and such where the cloquet river comes into island. There is a little pool there and alot of times there are smallies in there. Try casting twards shore and if that dosent work cast out in the current, there are some big boulders there that are visible when the water is low, they are probably far enough under water now but i would still keep an eye out for them, i have seen many boats wreck their prop so watch your depth but the bass like to hang out by thoes also.

Posted on: 2008/5/14 20:46

LSF Member
From East Central,MN
Bass season isnt even open yet, and I didnt think you could target a fish thats not in season??

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fish/bass/smallmouth/index.html

Posted on: 2008/5/14 20:50
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same" Ronald Reagan
2014 LSF Fall Trolling Get Together Champion

LSF Member
From Missoula
I thought the same thing so I read the regs again and from Hwy 53 east from Duluth up to I Falls it opened on the 10th.

Posted on: 2008/5/14 21:04

Farmer- n., Someone who is out-standing in his field.

Snook and or Redfish On The Brain!

LSF Member
From East Central,MN
Cool. Sounds like you guys are good to go then!!!!

Posted on: 2008/5/14 21:06
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same" Ronald Reagan
2014 LSF Fall Trolling Get Together Champion

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page