Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Island Lake Report 5/10
LSF Member
From elk river
houndhockey -
thanks for the input. I'll be launching aroudn 10 AM and spending all day Sat out there trying to figure something out. I'll keepo a look out for the boulders -how far up the river can you really travel? The only overhead shot of the lake was taken on GoogleEarth and it is obviously high water...much differnt than the DNR's map.

To sunkinboat - Yeah, I know, the season is screwy - why they DON'T protect the up-north fish I think stemmed from the desire to make the Boundary Waters have it's own special season for bass. So why not just have bass open there early? That would make too much sense. As a former DNR employee, I understand that 'sense' is sometimes not easy to come by. I'm not a fan of targeting bass this early; our club is just taking advantage of the early season in MN and not venturing to Iowa or Wisconsin to get our licks in early. Since it is so early, I think our club may acutally make this a tape-tournament so we don't disrupt the spawn as it is on the horizon.

Thanks for all the input. We'll see you guys out ther Sat/Sun.

Posted on: 2008/5/15 15:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From duluth
im not exactly sure, but i would guess about mile or so maybe a little more. There are some rapids up there that you cant get thru in a boat. If your heading up the river you will have tall grass on your left while on your right it will be more of a rocky shoreline. good luck!

Posted on: 2008/5/15 19:21

LSF Member
From elk river
thanks again -

tight lines...

Posted on: 2008/5/15 20:20

LSF Member
From duluth
howd the tourney go? i sure saw alot of nice boats out there

Posted on: 2008/5/18 19:51

LSF Member
From elk river
Fishing was extremely slow on Saturday and Sunday for most. Saturday, of 7 boats that pre-fished, 6 didn\'t catch a fish . Ouch. It was cold and windy, as you well know.

On Sunday, the wind and cold made for a miserable morning for all of us. I headed up the river with my partner, and he caught 2 keepers up there, and competed with 3 other boats (of our 8-boat tourny?) in the area right below the falls. The bite was slow to say the least. We left at about 10 AM looking for some shoreline not in the wind and tried everything from deep (35 feet) to shallow (3 feet). I could not find them.

The guys/team that won the tournament had 17+ pounds with 5-fish each. They were up in the rapids with us, but found the fish, of all places, on the docks that day in West Basin. They caught all 10 of their fish (each angler had over 17-pounds from one boat keep in mind) from a few docks shortly after 1 PM. Unreal. I have attached some photos. Needless to say, I finished last but still found a smile on my face because I learned some valuable lessons that day and that I was out fishing instead of doing anything else.

Oh, and 3 of our boats ran up on rocks, ruining or severly damaging prop, pro-shafts, and lower units. I was not one of them. Thankfully.

Attach file:

jpg  dan compressed.jpg (42.88 KB)
6476_4832007c3d5a6.jpg 336X448 px

Posted on: 2008/5/19 17:31

LSF Member
From duluth
bummer, well at least it sounds like you had fun. did the guys that won it have a nitro boat? when i was fishing i saw two guys on the west side in a nitro picking apart docks for a good ammount of time. Yeah there are some nasty rock piles out there, especially the one right out from the minnesota power landing, i have seen many boats hit that one. There sure are some nice smallies in that lake thats for sure.

Posted on: 2008/5/19 21:21

LSF Member
From elk river
yeah. Dan has a purple Nitro. They didn't even expect to fish docks - they just stopped for a second and tied them out. Unreal. 47-55 degree water 2 weeks after ice-out and fish are already on docks. wtf...

One guy just emailed me- $3100 in lower-unit damage. Someone should really mark those rockpiles a LOT better than just antifreeze-sized jugs. A guy (especially an impatient, idiotic, bass fisherman) could really lose his boat out there...

Thanks for all the input. Best of luck fishing this year.

Posted on: 2008/5/20 20:53

LSF Member
From duluth
yeah thats the guy i saw. wow thats really weird how they are already on the docks. holy cow thats alot of money. thats too bad that happened. i agree, for how many boats are on that lake in the summer im surprised its not marked better. and alot of the rockpiles arent even marked at all.

your welcome, thank you, good luck to you this summer as well

Posted on: 2008/5/20 21:03

Re: Island Lake Report
I plan on hitting Island Lake in Northome the last part of July.What should I expect to catch?

Posted on: 2010/3/20 10:09

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page