Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 »

Home Made Scent Killer
Pro Staff
From Fosston, Mn
Maybe we can get one of the Mods to tack this up top.

We all know how well scent killer spray works, but it can get pretty expensive if you hunt regularly. This will make aboot a gallon of it for around $5. And all it takes is a couple of basic ingredients:

~16oz Hydrogen Peroxide
~8oz Baking Soda
~slightly less than 1 gallon distilled water
~1oz unscented shampoo or detergent (I use the same scent killer shampoo that i shower with before hunting, but sport wash laundry detergent works great too)
~a larger clean funnel
~A couple of New Spray Bottles

Now here's the fun part, take the hydrogen peroxide and and half of the water and pour it into a very large mixing bowl (this bowl needs to be large enough for all these ingredients). Slowly mix in the baking soda a little at a time making sure it all dissolves, it does require a bit of stirring ( a wooden spoon works great). add the rest of the water while stirring. and then add the shampoo. Sitr for another couple of minutes to make sure the shampoo mixes well.

Take the mixture and pour as much as you can into the gallon jug that the water came in, loosely put the cap back on but make sure that the cap is not on tightly or it will blow! let the mixture sit for 3-4 days. Each day pick it up tighten the cap and give the jug a shake and then loosen the cap again.

You are going to want to get new spray bottles for this, Walgreens has smaller 9oz ones for like 2 for $3 that work great. Also if you can find the paper towels that stack up like they have in some bathrooms you can make your own wipes. just pour the mixture on top of the towels in a 2 gallon ziplock freezer bag, and you have a great little thing for wiping down in camp.

Posted on: 2008/8/11 20:54

Re: Home Made Scent Killer
LSF Member
From Southern MN.
I'll have to give it a try.

Posted on: 2008/8/11 21:02

LSF Member
From Rewey, WI
just wanted to get this topic on my list so i can find it again sounds like something i want to try!

Posted on: 2008/8/12 1:29

LSF Member
From Forest Lake
I'm gonna have to give this a try for sure.

Posted on: 2008/8/12 12:42
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Crosby, MN
I'm gonna have to try this for sure.

Bob, when we go hunting this fall you try this and I'll try my own, then if the deer don't bust you I'll know it works and try it myself!

Posted on: 2008/8/12 13:38

LSF Member
From Baxter, MN
this recipe of chester's is the reason why he hasnt seen a deer in the last 5 years

I'll have to give it a try...

Posted on: 2008/8/28 11:54

LSF Member
From Eagan
Good money saver
thougth I would bring this to the top again
Thanks Bob

Posted on: 2009/8/20 16:06

Pro Staff
From Detroit Lakes/Fergus Falls
If this stuff can cover Bob's stink, it must be a wonder potion! I'll have to try it....once I hear back from you guys that try it first
T

Posted on: 2009/8/20 16:32

LSF Member
From SW Metro
I've got a batch sitting in my garage (day 3 now).
One of the times I shook it up it created a ton of pressure and blew the top off before I even had a chance to vent it.
Be sure to do this outside...

Anyone else made this yet?
I would assume it is safe to go into a sprayer once you get to a point of shaking it up and it no longer creates pressure...

I'll let you know how it works out.

Posted on: 2009/10/5 8:46

LSF Member
From SW Metro
Just wanted to give an update.

This stuff seems to work pretty well.
It is thicker than the two purchased brands I have used but still sprays out nicely.

It took a soap/perfume scent out of a bucket seat top I have (that the other brands didn't).

The sprayer nozzle gets caked with the dried baking soda but rubs off easily enough.

Posted on: 2009/10/19 7:32

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page