Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Re: Draining Pelican Lake Wright County
LSF Member
From Buffalo, MN
Nice pics/post Ben! I agree, keep it full of water and fish.

Posted on: 2009/1/13 22:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Clear Lake
I live on big elk lake in sherburne county and it is 8.5ft at its deepest spot and it does not freeze out. we catch pike and walleyes. I find it hard to believe that winterkill has effected pelican that much. Especially with the size of fish that it still has. I love to fish pelican lake and I feel we should let mother nature take its course. Duck hunting is fine and dandy but it doesn't put much meat on the table if you know what i mean. Pelican could freeze out in the bays but the main basins shouldn't freeze out and they are big enough to keep most of the fish in the lake from dying.News Releases

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DNR proposes water quality improvements on Pelican Lake, April 9 meeting scheduled (April 1, 2008)

A former mecca for ducks and waterfowl hunters in eastern Wright County could make a comeback under plans being developed by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and partners to construct an outlet on Pelican Lake that would allow for the lake’s water levels to be managed.

On Wednesday, April 9, from 7-9 p.m. in the St. Michael-Albertville High School Auditorium (11343 50th St. NE, Albertville, MN 55301), the DNR will present information on a proposal to manage water levels on the 4000-acre designated wildlife lake. DNR has been working for several years with local government, state and federal agencies, landowners and conservation groups such as Ducks Unlimited, the Minnesota Waterfowl Association and Pheasants Forever to improve Pelican Lake’s water quality and its value as waterfowl habitat.

Over the past 30 years, the lake has suffered from persistent flooding and deterioration of shallow water areas. Recurring algae blooms have blocked sunlight, limiting the growth of important rooted aquatic plants that provide food and shelter for waterfowl and other wetland wildlife species. Rough fish and summer wave action on this unprotected shallow lake bottom have further degraded the lake’s water quality.

Lowering water levels would recreate a more normal cycle wherein rough fish populations would be reduced as a result of more frequent winterkills. Ideally, a management drawdown would be started after a natural moderate to severe winter fish kill with the goal of significantly reducing rough fish populations. Lower water levels, and increased water clarity from elimination of rough fish, would allow re-establishment of important aquatic plants.

If an outlet for Pelican Lake were constructed, water likely would flow southeast from the lake through the City of St. Michael by way of Regal Creek. City officials have participated in development of the plans. A 180-acre wetland restoration upstream from the Crow River would buffer and clean water coming from the lake and surrounding uplands.

Through public land acquisition, the DNR and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service are working together within the Pelican Lake watershed to buffer and protect as much of the Pelican Lake shoreline as possible. In addition, a new multi-agency initiative to conserve areas on private land within the lake’s watershed has been approved.

Pelican Lake historically has been a vital spring and fall lake for migratory waterfowl and other wetland bird species, as well as an important breeding area. Growing concerns over declines in migratory waterfowl populations in Minnesota, especially diver duck species, have increased efforts statewide to improve shallow lake habitat that has deteriorated.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 7:23

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Quote:

drewski4 wrote:

If you want ducks, go to dakotas!

And yeah, thats an appropriate response. Like saying if you want a 9 pound bass go to lake el salto mexico cuz they grow em big south of the border, your guaranteed to get one. you can hit bad luck hunting/fishing 1000 miles from home just like you can being 1 mile from home.

You have any ideas the cost associated to going to the dakotas?

If you'd like I can break it down for you.

Its 389 miles to Woodland Resort from my house. I travel a litte farther west to get away from the "crowds". Gas was over 2.00 this fall. If I remember right I paid 2.37 a gallon out there roughly. I pull a 20 ft enclosed trailer loaded with 5 blinds and roughly 10 dozen full bodies a couple dozen duck fbs and 1k of ss as killing snows in the fall are a lot easier than in the spring.

And for every good morning hunt you need a good evening scouting. I typically was averaging about 200 to 250 miles a day total from going from house to field, field to house to clean birds, drop trailer off and go scout again. So for a seven day period for me I put on 1589 miles on my truck just up there hunting not including the drive up and back. Not too mention come home its time for another oil change...

Your license will cost you 116 dollars plus your stamp.
Most people dont have a place to stay so your looking at between 60 and 90 bucks a night for a hotel room or to rent a house is like 750 for a week.

And if you dont have any gear or enough to do anything, you might have to hire a guide....

And remember thats only for 7 days and you can only do that twice in season.

Now how many hunters can afford that?

If you'd like I can tell you how much it costs for my crew to go to sd, co, mo, stuttgart and texas.

Your telling the duck hunters to **** off about this lake. People can point the finger and tell the grass carp guys to **** off too. Two way street. I see your point, there has to be a compromise, it might be too late now, but Id be all in favor of supporting the anglers and the fowl hunters. I have a few leased fields out there and we can really pile up the honks but its been tough field hunting our ducks up there we get about a 2 week window where they do work during hours.

Point being sending people out of their own state to do something they enjoy is wrong. Nobody is telling the bass or panfish guys to leave. Anglers and Hunters should have/would have gotten together could this issue have been resolved so that both parties are happy? If a situation like this comes up again will the concerning parties team up together to work with the DNR?

How many of you guys are just bitching and not actively doing your part to help or to voice your concerns?

Calling ducks a nuisance, I can point a finger at one of the many 30-40 inch pike or the huge bucketmouths being real assholes to the ducklings in the late spring/early summer.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 12:14

LSF Member
From Annandale, MN
Quote:

walleyeben wrote:
Not to mention that they have found no freshwater shrimp a key essentail for a good duck pond,

I am going to try and stay out of most of this, most of you know my position from previous discussions, but freshwater shrimp used to be in thier by the millions. The diminished water quality turned it into an environment they couldn't survive in. The main goal of the draw down is to improved the water quality. When this is done there will be many benefits and one of them will be the return of fresh water shrimp.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 12:17

Pro Staff
From Southern MN
Quote:

waterbeater wrote:
Quote:

drewski4 wrote:

If you want ducks, go to dakotas!

You have any ideas the cost associated to going to the dakotas?

If you'd like I can break it down for you.

Its 389 miles to Woodland Resort from my house. I travel a litte farther west to get away from the "crowds". Gas was over 2.00 this fall. If I remember right I paid 2.37 a gallon out there roughly. I pull a 20 ft enclosed trailer loaded with 5 blinds and roughly 10 dozen full bodies a couple dozen duck fbs and 1k of ss as killing snows in the fall are a lot easier than in the spring.

And for every good morning hunt you need a good evening scouting. I typically was averaging about 200 to 250 miles a day total from going from house to field, field to house to clean birds, drop trailer off and go scout again. So for a seven day period for me I put on 1589 miles on my truck just up there hunting not including the drive up and back. Not too mention come home its time for another oil change...

Your license will cost you 116 dollars plus your stamp.
Most people dont have a place to stay so your looking at between 60 and 90 bucks a night for a hotel room or to rent a house is like 750 for a week.

And if you dont have any gear or enough to do anything, you might have to hire a guide....

And remember thats only for 7 days and you can only do that twice in season.

Now how many hunters can afford that?

Chris, someday you will probably get a little older and learn that ducks are a money pit and MOSTLY a waste of time to hunt in MN. I used to be just like you hunting hard all over the Dakotas, W Mn and the like burning up gas scouting, etc, etc. If it is what you like to do, that is great, but Minnesota as a duck hunting state is terrible overall and many people are getting out of it all together. Guys like you are a dying breed.

If you really want hunting, just go to Manitoba and be done with it. Not many scouting miles need to be put on up there. Do the extra miles to get there and you would not have to scout all over the place.

I have followed these thread and IMO, they shouldn't mess with a good thing. Good fishing, leave it that way. All you will do when it does come back as a duck lake is attract a huge crowd and it will suck anyway. That is my main reason to quit or severly cut down my duck hunting.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 12:27

jimmyrig@lakestatefishing.com

LSF Member
From Central MN
Quote:

Chris, someday you will probably get a little older and learn that ducks are a money pit and MOSTLY a waste of time to hunt in MN. I used to be just like you hunting hard all over the Dakotas, W Mn and the like burning up gas scouting, etc, etc. If it is what you like to do, that is great, but Minnesota as a duck hunting state is terrible overall and many people are getting out of it all together. Guys like you are a dying breed.

If you really want hunting, just go to Manitoba and be done with it. Not many scouting miles need to be put on up there. Do the extra miles to get there and you would not have to scout all over the place.

Now there is someone who knows what he's talking about!

Posted on: 2009/1/14 15:37

Proud owner of a Vexilar

LSF Member
From Wright County
This topic has been discussed, rehashed, thrashed, ran a circle. There are strong feelings both ways. Keep it civil guys.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 16:40

LSF Member
From COOK MN.
I say kill the ducks on earth first then the other planets later

Posted on: 2009/1/14 17:11

LSF Member
From Saint michael Minnesota
I know the dnr is in a last bit fight to try to bring duck numbers back. I know all the money to buy the land around the lake and to build launches and parking/access to the lake has came from duck stamp purchases. So we need to thank duck hunters. We do need quality nesting ground in the area but its hard since its turned into a fishing lake. Which wasnt really fished at all till 10-15yrs ago. I dont think they should drain it there problem stems from run off just like every other lake. I am a duck hunter and a fisherman were just all sad duck hunting has gotten so bad to say its terrible is an understatement.
I went hunting on the clearwater river 3-4 times this fall I shot one goose but went to the dakotas and did ok when we found feilds to hunt. I have duck hunted pelican in the past but have quit since its hunted soooo hard. I'm afraid its out of our hands and pelicans fate is sealed to drainage I'm curious to see how the fish react. A post on here said there is walleyes out there? never heard that before is this true?

Posted on: 2009/1/14 20:16

Pro Staff
From Albertville
This is a very heated topic in both circles, i agree that their needs to be comprimise, its just what happens when we ruin this great fishery and the ducks dont come back? hind site is always 20/20! My biggest issue is that this "dying lake" can out produce most lakes deemed worthy of fishery management "attempts"! There has been no stocking, no special regs, and barly any enforcement action in the past angling years and it has more better size of fish than most area lakes, what other lake can take a pounding like it has and it still pump out trophy after trophy! I love ducks just as much as pike and crappies! I would like to see the ducks come back but isnt there a way we can save the fish too? Im no expert but I have caught huge fish out of the same ponds pounded later by duck hunters in the dakotas.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 23:20

Walleyes or Whitetails? So many options so little time!

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page