Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

testing a vexilar
LSF Member
From Burnsville
Is there a why to see if a vexilar works other than just turning it on and seeing the zero mark on top? I'm looking at a used fl-8slt it turns on with a new battery and I see a zero mark thats it. He hasn't used it for many years and I would like to make sure it works before I buy it. The directions say that you can put it on a counter and hang the transducer over the edge and get a bottom reading is there a test to make sure that the transducer and flasher work?
Thanks

Posted on: 2009/1/14 21:24
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: testing a vexilar
LSF Member
From Walker, MN
Test it on the counter hang the puck off the floor three or four feet turn your gain up high run your hand under the puck down low you should see it read your hand move your hand up and down the signal will change then it works.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 21:35

Staff Team
From Bloomington-Isle
Yeo what Bob said. Easy way to roughly test it.

Posted on: 2009/1/14 21:38

LSF Member
From lakeville mn,
also listen to the duecer you should be able to hear a clicking noise

Posted on: 2009/1/14 21:53

LSF Member
From south metros
fill the sink up

Posted on: 2009/1/14 23:19
I.BO.T. #269

Pro Staff
From Detroit Lakes/Fergus Falls
Where are you at? If you are around here, I can show you:
You have to remember the signal will travel 3 times faster in air than water, so just hang the transducer over a counter (Make sure there isn't carpet below) put a magazine on the floor: You should see a reading of about 9 ft (assuming it is 3ft off the ground).....Truly, there is very little that can and does go wrong with the Vexilars. If you can hear the transducer "clicking", you can hit the "IR" button and it should change sounds (when you hold it against your ear).....My brother has my very first Vexilar I got for Christmas in 1995 and it still works just fine! I use an Fl-8 from 2002 and I am yet to change the battery. Chances are if you are looking at a used Vex, and if the guy you are buying it from says it works.....it does.
If you have any questions about it specifically I can try to walk you through how to test it. Just fire me a P.M.
T

Posted on: 2009/1/14 23:26

LSF Member
From Burnsville
Thanks for the responses. I found out that the pins and sockets on the connection were not making connection. Once I took the wire apart on the transducer I found a bad pin connector. Seems to work now and I hear the transducer clicking.
Thanks for the input.

Posted on: 2009/1/15 0:09

Vexilar Ducer diognosis test "Table Top Test"
LSF Member
Try a dab of dielectric grease on your connections, it will help with the contact issues.

Vex Table Top Test: Set unit on a stable surface and puck set at 24" off a concrete or wood floor it should read 9' at a low gain.

The lower the gain to see a red bottom reading the better the ducer is..the higher you need to go the poorer the ducer may be.

Checking the connections as you done was the first logical thing to troubleshoot a ducer problem, and many times the issue. The dielectric grease will eliminate the corrosion problems often seen and as you noted check pin alignment and if need be carefully spread them to gain a firmer contact.

If all else fails swap out a buddys ducer and see if it works then, still nothing...well there may be a internal issue. If the buddys ducer works..you found the problem, time to replace your ducer.

This is a Good time to consider an upgrade to a duel beam when replacement is required.

hope this helps.

Posted on: 2009/1/15 2:00

Re: Vexilar Ducer diognosis test "Table Top Test"
LSF Member
From central mn
Another thing to remember is over time you'll get crude build up on the ducer,clean it up with some warm soapy water if its been sitting awhile.

Posted on: 2009/1/15 13:54

LSF Member
From Burnsville
Can a Transducer wear out? Still work, but read not as responsive? I did the table top test and to get a good red line I have to turn the gain up to around 6, otherwise the line is green.

Posted on: 2009/1/15 19:23

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page