Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

top lures for splake and rainbow
LSF Member
From Duluth
I'm headed up to the Gunflint this weekend and was wondering what other use for successful outings. I have the little cleo's and glow hooks with waxies.
Are there any other lures some can share that have helped you put fish on the ice?
Are feathered jigs any good?
Any particular colors more successful?

Posted on: 2009/2/5 10:22

Rick
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: top lures for splake and rainbow
LSF Member
From Duluth
no tips?? please I'm begging...

chubby darters? I've never tried them, Joe P seemed to snag some nice ones with them,...

Posted on: 2009/2/6 0:21

Rick

LSF Member
From Iron Range, MN.
I don't think they're made anymore but I used to do well with those small airplane-style bucktail jigs, sometimes tipped with a crappie minnow or just the tail half of the minnow. Also did well using the smallest Northland "Whistler Jig", again, tipped with a half-minnow. White was always a good color. Just bring along an assortment of smaller stuff.

Posted on: 2009/2/6 6:19

LSF Member
From Duluth
I'll second the Chubby Darter. My nephew and I hit a lake up that way, with the direction of Parp. We caught 10 on the Darter. Then as the action slowed on them, we caught a few more on a Fairy jig and waxie. We talked to several others on the lake as we were leaving. Out of maybe 20 guys, 2 other fish were caught. Total!

Posted on: 2009/2/6 9:15

LSF Member
From Duluth
Well we hit 3 lakes up on the gunflint, alot of small fish, browns, splake, and rainbows. I used the tried and true waxie on a small glow hook and bobber working it like a jig. I caught the most fish (13) out of 5 people Was really surprised how quiet it was up there, didn't see many others fishing from friday thru sunday.

Posted on: 2009/2/8 20:52

Rick

Supporting Member
From SW TC Metro
I've had good luck with a little "U" shaped spoon named super duper. Made by Luhr Jenson. Cabelas sells them. Gold or silver with a red top..

Posted on: 2009/2/8 21:11

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page