Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Non-Oxygenated Gas
LSF Member
From South West Metro
I may be a little slow on the uptake, but I have recently been clued in to the benefits of running non-ox gas in my carbeurated, two stroke engines, and for all marine applications. Seems that fuels mixed with ethanol will more readily take up water which can cause stalls, and corrosion on internal engine parts. It can also create varnish in the carbeurator. Non-ox gas will run better in your engine, and you will actually get better gas mileage as well. The drawbacks are that it is usually a higher octane (91-93), which can mean deposits in the engine from gas that doesn't burn off all the way because higher octane fuels burn slower and at a higher temperature. Non-ox is also more expensive...

What do people think about marine and small engine fuel? I'm no expert, so I'd be interested to hear the opinions of other LSF'ers who are.

Here is some info I drew my statements above from in addition to the advice the folks who are currently working on my engine.

Sportsmans Blog on Gasoline

List of Gas Stations that Offer Non-Oxygenated Gas in Minnesota and Wisconsin

Posted on: 2009/4/2 10:16

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.

Whack em and stack em!
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Non-Oxygenated Gas
LSF Member
From St. louis Park , MN
I run non- oxy in both my boat and wheeler its the best for your engine it keeps the valves clean because it burns alittle hotter than premium gas

in (IMO) its well worth the extra $$$.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 10:23

LSF Member
From Lower Manitou Lake, Ont.
I run Non-Oxy in all my snowmobiles, Atv, outboard motors, lawn mower, weed eater, chainsaw, small generators. I guess I run it in everything except my work truck.

I have never had a problem ever so I will continue to run it. I guess for the little bit extra $ it has been well worth it.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 10:29

1-800-766-0876

Ice out Lake Trout/ summer Bass, Muskie Trips, Book Now for Prefered Dates

Your One Stop Canadian Resort Destination, we cover everything from Walleyes to Whitetails.

LSF Member
From pillager, mn
i run 89 octane right out of the pump for all my motors ! its cheap,reliable and have had no problems with starting or at top end .. for 2 cycle ,use enough oil and keep the fuel new.. for 4 stroke, the same as before but no oil ?? lol just use a little injector cleaner now and then !!

Posted on: 2009/4/2 10:39

LSF Member
From South West Metro
Woodchuck,

Thats what I have been doing too, but it seems like every 2-4 years I need a carb tune or rebuild, and my carbeurated engines never seem to idle as well as I would like them to...they always seem to die after a few minutes idling if I don't rev them a bit. Want to see if the non-ox will help the idling issue, and if it reduces the need to have work done on the carbs then it will pay for itself.

Biggest issue I have with the non-ox is more the hassle of finding a station that sells it on my way to the lake rather than just filling up with any old gas. I may just need to buy a couple of extra tanks so I can stock up on a couple weeks worth when I go to get it....

Worth a try I suppose.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 11:34

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job.

Whack em and stack em!

LSF Member
From Saint Francis
I, too, use the 89 octane right from the pump. Auger, tractor, ATV, chain saw, everything. For those that require, I mix the oil properly. And at least every other tank, I splash a dab of seafoam in. Offseason, they get stabil. Not had much of a problem.

Interesting subject though.... I don't know much about it.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 11:49

Hunting Field Staff
From Iron Range.
FWIW........I had some issues with a snowmobile aand non-ox gas a few years back....icing up fuel line - had somehow got some water in the gas. A mechanic friend told me that water was a common issue when running non-ox gas. He said the stations go through so little of it compared to regular gas, that the tanks sit for long times between fills - allowing for condensation to build up in them. He said the regular gas gets replenished so often due to high demand(plus alcohol additives), that this is not a concern. His opinion was that any possible issues caused by running regular gas were small in comparison to the potential issues that could arise from burning non-ox.

Sounded plausible to me........

I have burnt hundreds upon hundreds of gallons of regular through both my previous and current boats/wheelers/everything else....with no issues.

Tim

Posted on: 2009/4/2 11:59

LSF Member
From pillager, mn
Quote:

SomeGuy102 wrote:
Woodchuck,

Thats what I have been doing too, but it seems like every 2-4 years I need a carb tune or rebuild, and my carbeurated engines never seem to idle as well as I would like them to...they always seem to die after a few minutes idling if I don't rev them a bit. Want to see if the non-ox will help the idling issue, and if it reduces the need to have work done on the carbs then it will pay for itself.

Biggest issue I have with the non-ox is more the hassle of finding a station that sells it on my way to the lake rather than just filling up with any old gas. I may just need to buy a couple of extra tanks so I can stock up on a couple weeks worth when I go to get it....

Worth a try I suppose.
i hear your thoughts! the only thing that differs from yours to mine is that mine might be used a bit harder then yours and for longer times out. meaning like chain saws and logging equipment!! other wise truck,car boat all get used about normal? sea foam and stabil work great for in between uses as well...

Posted on: 2009/4/2 12:02

LSF Member
From Missoula
Regular gas is fine in most newer engines (outboards, sleds, etc.) as long as you don't let it sit too long. But in older engines (i.e. SMG102's 93 force) it will deteriorate the fuel lines and seals, as they were not designed to be alcohol resistant. Also, on newer snowmobiles they say to have your carb adjusted one setting up from the recommended setting if you're going to burn E-10. The sled manufacturers also recommend a de-icer if burning non-oxy.

SomeGuy102, all gas will turn into varnish if it sits too long, but if you then burn some fuel with alcohol in it the alcohol could strip the varnish and send it straight into the engine(very bad! )

The real problem here is that we are forced to buy gas with ethanol in it! I guess they say it burns cleaner, but making ethanol isn't exactly a pristine process.

Posted on: 2009/4/2 12:50

Farmer- n., Someone who is out-standing in his field.

Snook and or Redfish On The Brain!

LSF Member
From St. Paul Park
ethanol is the biggest F-ing waste, and im not sure how long it will take for the stupid government to realize that its so useless!
makes more emissions to create than it saves, and reduces fuel mileage, plus its using food to make causing a rise in the price of pretty much everything, i hope it stops soon
the only thing ethanol is good for is race cars tuned for E85!! ill never run oxygenated fuel on purpose in any of my 2 stroke stuff, glad i live so close to WI so i can go across the border and find some 91 non-oxy!!

Posted on: 2009/4/2 13:17

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page