Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Pout?
LSF Member
From St.Cloud, MN
Are you guys really talking about purposely trying to catch those slimmy mothers? If so what the heck do you do with them once you catch them?

Thanks JD

Posted on: 2007/1/29 14:35
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Backus, MN
JD, Those slimmy buggers are fairly fun to catch, if that is indeed what you want to catch. Not so fun when you walleye fishin'. Alot of people cut out the back strap, and cook it. Some say it's the poor mans lobster! I will let someone else give instructions on how to cook them.
When you can find them in #'s they are fun, and they get big also!

Posted on: 2007/1/29 14:52
www.conquestscents.com

LSF Member
From St.Cloud, MN
Hey BIG-N, I tell you what they may be the poor man's lobster, but anything that ugly, slimmy and smelly, could not possibly taste like lobster!!!!! Believe me when I say I am the first guy to step up and try something new I have eaten ostrich, gator, crawfish, hushpuppies, catfish, gumbo made by a true cajun( smoken hot ) and he said it was as mild as he has ever made, occtopus even. You name it I probably have tried it at least once that included live goldfish for a $100.00, Night crawlers for $25.00, Like I said I have tried it, but I am not sure you could force that thing down my throat if I knew what I was eating. By the way I do not like Lutifisk, I would rather eat horse manure first. If you guys want them when we go fishing tell me first, or they go back.

Later JD

Posted on: 2007/1/29 17:29

LSF Member
From Backus, MN
AWE come now JD they aren't that bad! If I were you I would held out for the $100 on the crawlers, but thats just me!

Posted on: 2007/1/29 17:46
www.conquestscents.com

Pro Staff
From Duluth
Hey JD, Try this. My wife likes it, and she hates everything. Take only the backstrap and tail meat. That's about all there is anyway. Cut them into 50 cent piece sized chunks. Ignore the raw texture, kindof slimy, as you mentioned. Boil them in saltwater for ten minutes. Strain them. brown them in a really hot pan with butter. Dip them in garlic butter, like you would crab or lobster. If you don't like that, well, there's always Pizza Hut.

Posted on: 2007/1/29 20:23

LSF Member
From Mora
The toughest part of eating "burbot" is definitely getting over the fact that you are eating that ugly slimy bugger. My wife actually made me keep them because someone told her they were good eats and she didn't know any better. I don't know about the lobster comparison but it is pretty tasty JD and that is coming from someone who felt the same you did!!!

Posted on: 2007/1/29 20:41
Matthew 4:19
"Follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
GEAUX TIGERS!!

LSF Member
From St.Cloud, MN
OK guys, if your all so gung ho on them then I will catch them you show me how to clean them, and prepare them, and I will give them a try, but I will not be the one preparing them the first time. Where did all of you learn that they are so tasty and who showed you all the first time? Is this like something we should do out on Mille Lacs here in a few weekends? Meet out on a mud flat catch these stupid things like crazy, stack em up like cord wood, clean them out on the lake and then prepare them out there and have a big old feast? I would be game for some sort of a ell get together out there, heck I got the new rapala knife that plugs into the cig lighter for power to clean em up. I have a large turkey frier to boil them in, I have a camp stove to brown them up with, If someone had a wheel house for a lunch house that would be fun.

Later JD

Posted on: 2007/1/30 9:56

Pro Staff
From Duluth
I used to be the anti pout man until a buddy of mine showed me the other side. I still don't like it when I am targeting walleyes and you set into weight, only to feel the unmistakeable pout thumping. But when I am after pout nothing beats the nonstop late ice action of pout after pout. As far as the pout feed on Mille Lacs I would love to head down if someone has a good pout spot out there. I haven't caught one in 2 years. Big Nasty however is kindof a natural at finding them. Maybe we could just follow him. J/K Nasty, It's been a while for you too. Maybe we could all tie on Chubby Darters.

Posted on: 2007/1/30 12:38

LSF Member
From Baxter, MN
I'm telling you guys, you should come out to pout patrol with us, if nothing bites, theres always the beer

Posted on: 2007/1/30 12:59

LSF Member
For sure Jmn! I cant wait.

Posted on: 2007/1/30 13:28

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page