Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Any Walleyes - Elk River
LSF Member
From Maple Grove / Grand Rapids
Any one have any hints on walleyes around Elk River? Going to try to take out the canoe this weekend for one last hurrah. Try for some 'eyes for a few hours then hit the smallies.

Thanks for any hints

Posted on: 2006/10/19 9:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Any Walleyes - Elk River
Pro Staff
From Southern MN
I've never fished it that far up, but I would assume you could do okay this time of year. The guy I sold my 14ft. boat to said that they do catch a few up in that area. I would try any holes or bends in the river.
If you can find sand bars and current breaks near those deep areas, or where a creek runs in, they should be good.

I would use a jig and minnow or a jig and plastic of your choice.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Posted on: 2006/10/19 9:35

jimmyrig@lakestatefishing.com

LSF Member
From Zimmerman, MN
Scott,
I'd hit those holes around dayton that you saw when you made your smallie trips up there.

Posted on: 2006/10/19 9:39

LSF Member
From Princeton,MN
Throw crawfish color Rattle traps around rockpiles. This usually works well for me. Where are you planning on launching? I could probably reccommend a couple pretty good area, as I used to fish that a lot.

Posted on: 2006/10/19 9:58

LSF Member
Thanks guys...

Yea we have had no problems finding the smallies (20" is the biggest) and no problems finding the rehorse carp. Would love to find some walleyes and some catfish.

Hopefully fish for some walleyes for a few hours then hit some of my spots for those smallies.

Posted on: 2006/10/19 10:28

LSF Member
From Princeton,MN
If you want to walleye fish, I would reccomend the Monticello area. It tends to be a better area for whatever reason. The gravel flat in front of Montissippi park usually will produce a few. If you head just upriver from there, before you get to the power plant, there is a straight section that is all sand. This area can be really good for dragging lindy rigs, or jig and plastic/minnow. They like to lay behing the small "dunes" created by the current. I have drifted that area and got sone decent fish. If you end up fishing that area and are not in a motorized boat, I'd bring a shotgun, because that particular area is one of my favorites for migrating ducks, and local geese. Last year we really got into the wood ducks and mallards about 1/2 mile abouve the power plant.

Posted on: 2006/10/19 12:47

Supporting Member
From Elk River
Scott, I have caught some nice "eater" walleyes under the main street bridge in Elk River. there is a deep hole there and it usually holds walleyes. I know some catch them right under the 101 bridge also. Be careful in that area as the depth changes fast and there are some big boulders. Just up from the main street bridge there is a nice deep run that will sometimes hold walleyes. It has mainly gravel bottom with some boulders.

Jimmyrig, I got the boat from you! Like the boat and motor but am going to replace the trailer. Want something with an axle as the kids and I want to trailer it further than around Elk River.

foneman

Posted on: 2006/10/19 13:15

Pro Staff
From Southern MN
I thought it might be you! That motor and boat were pretty good, but the trailer wasn't the best.

Hope you and your kids like it!

Posted on: 2006/10/19 13:22

jimmyrig@lakestatefishing.com

LSF Member
The #1 goal we stated was to NOT FALL IN and get wet, and we accomplished that and we even accomplished my #2 goal and that was to have Alex at least catch one fish.

With layers of clothes on that resembled a trip to the ice houses in January, Alex and I headed out for a early morning trip to the Ol' Mississippi. Seven Thirty and Alex is at the house right on time, what exactly we were going OPEN WATER fishing (in a CANOE) in 28 degree weather I don't know, but we were going to give it a shot.

I figured we would try to toss a couple smallies in the canoe before heading to deeper water for walleye, but that plan didn't work out to well. I got one smallie barely bigger then my tube and that was it, so we were ready to move up river to some of my spots that have produced the best this summer.

Forgetting that they opened the Coon Rapids dam made our attempt to head up river to the spots FAIL miserably. That current was really flowing and the convinced me to put dual trolling motors on the back of the canoe next year.

We had found some deeper water on our slow trip up river so we thought we would anchor just outside that and drown some minnows looking for some walleyes. A short time later I had a fish, not a walleye like I had hoped but a 17" smallie. A short time later Alex finally hooked into a fish another nice ~17" smallie. A few more minutes (and the ability to not feel our fingers) we decided to move. A few more of my usual spots gave up nothing so we tried to head up the Crow, and that was still too shallow.

We found some nice deep water (11') so we decided to give that a shot for the last few minutes while some duck hunters packed up their gear. A few bites on minnows and finally I got a hook up. A nice 15 1/2" walleye that I released to be caught another day.

We decided to call it quits after about 5 hours in the cold. The guy at the landing just putting in his boat and the two kids out in another boat said it has been slow the past week, but the week before was the hot week. I told him it was my first year on the river, and he sure had it right when he aid, "You will be back." That's for sure I WILL BE BACK!!!

Posted on: 2006/10/24 9:49

What type of lures should you use

Posted on: 2013/6/1 11:07

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page