Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 »

laker patterns
LSF Member
I have fished for pretty much anything you can catch through the ice except lake trout. Could anyone give me some general info on what to look for to find them and what might work to catch them like airplane jigs, live bait, light or heavy tackle?

Posted on: 2010/1/19 16:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: laker patterns
Staff Team
Had to go back a ways to get some information on lake trout through the ice. Looks like we might need some more information for our members also. I am heading up to a real remote lake in March doing some tip up fishing for pike and walleyes but also will jig for some lake trout. Any tips, lures, line, methods. Thanks in advance.......Kirk

Posted on: 2011/11/12 18:16

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011

LSF Member
From Backus, MN
Kirk, Let me start this off by saying I am no Laker expert! haha

Some of the baits I like to use for Lakers are my trout spoon, airplane jigs, trout teasers, Chubby/Lindy Darters. Even trolling spoons jigged slowly are a good choice. A lot of people swear by tube jigs. I have not used them much personally. I like more hooks.

I like to sight fish for them, even up to 70FOW. They can be anywhere in the water column. It's a rush when you can watch them come in. If the water is clear, which it usually is in trout lakes, you can see down a long way. If you are hole hoping that won't be a option.

People always say that you need to move the bait really fast. That is true to a point. It has been my experience that if you move it to fast they will miss it a lot. When I think or see that they are close, I will slow it down a bit, so they have a better shot at it.

I usually have my baitcaster spooled with 10-12lbs Vanish on a Med./Heavy rod. I will also throw out a tip-up with 14lbs spooled on it. A live sucker or shiner will work. Sometimes they will see your bait, and then see the live bait and hit it. While jigging for trout, you have a good chance of seeing pike too. They usually are chasing the same food!

Trout like places where they can trap or pin there food. Like a steep bank. I also fish humps and points too.

Like I said, I am no expert. I am sure others will chime in. Dang it Kirk, now I want to go fish for Lakers!

Posted on: 2011/11/13 11:05
www.conquestscents.com

Staff Team
Thank you Adam for taking the time and responding with such great information. It is all new to me and any help or tips are greatly appreciated. I will be ordering a few of your spoons later this month. Thanks again for all your help and if anyone else has some expierience in these Lakers please feel free to posting some information. Thanks in advance.....kirk

Posted on: 2011/11/13 12:31

Pro Staff- The Dangler

Hunting Field Staff
From Iron Range.
I used to chase them quite a bit. Day after day after day - the best producing jigging bait for myself and the guys I ran with was a tube-style bait with the jig inside the head. There was not another bait that ever compared. In fact - several of the guys I ran with ended up with small tackle boxes that held a handful of jigheads, some white tubes, and maybe some hooks/siinkers for rigging a cisco under a tipup - and NOTHING else. We would go on a 3-4 day trip and those were the only baits that were brought along - period.

Lakers like to chase. From what I saw, the surest way to not catch them was to keep the jig right in front of them like they were panfish. Playing keep-a-way with them and forcing them to overtake the bait triggered the strikes. Keeping that bait a few feet above them and slowly reeleing/jigging would usually trigger them and they would overtake and inhale the bait.

As far as colors - I liked white, pearl, glo white, white, and white. If those didn't produce, I would try white - and that usually made the difference.....lol.

SL

Posted on: 2011/11/13 13:55

LSF Member
From 55416
I like chasing them, only have a few times but have a friend who's really gotten into it heavy the last couple years. Here's a few things we've picked up:

Fish big structures - pick the best spots in the lake like main lake points, islands, reefs, neck down areas, steep shoreline cliffs. I like 25-45 FOW, most go to 70 FOW as Adam mentioned but the big thing I look for is where the basin pivots up to the structure.

Go in a group - easier to cover those big areas, helps clean water faster.

Be mobile - if there's fish in the area, they'll usually find you within the first 30-45 minutes.

Use long rods if you can, 32" or more, helps to fight the fish. Most guys are sticking with spinning reels, using their summer walleye reels, 8lb test is common. I like mono or fluoro, your pick. You'll want to use a short leader with a good swivel on top, too.

You can use any 3"-5" soft baits (tubes, flukes, paddletails, twisters) but like Tim said, try to keep the colors toward white. I like having some with a blue or green accent and/or with some flakes for a change of pace. 1/4 oz mostly for a slow fall, 3/8 - 1/2 oz if you have any current.

Jigging raps, Lindy or Chubby Darters and spoons all work too. I fish with CD's a lot, so I use those quite a bit when I'm with others using soft baits.

My next big ice trip will be going to Ontario for a laker/crappie weekend, but that won't be until 2013 at least. Doesn't stop me from thinking about it though...

Hope this helps, good luck.

Posted on: 2011/11/13 14:37

Staff Team
Great great information and Thank you for taking the time to help out on this matter. It sure is going to be fun trying to catch a fish you have never targeted before. Again it is appreciated for all you great information.........Kirk

Posted on: 2011/11/13 15:42

Pro Staff- The Dangler

LSF Member
From LINO LAKES, MN
I haven't had the luck or thrill of reeling in a laker yet, but I'd like to back up the tips that the other guys have given. I have read a few articles on laker fishing, and they all say "It doesn't matter what color you use just as long as it is white."

Posted on: 2011/12/29 2:32

I Love The Life I Live, I Live The Life I Love - Willie Dixon...Muddy Waters

LSF Member
From Bemidji, MN
All good info above.

I will second the long heavy rods with a baitcaster, as well as the 12 lb. Vanish. That's my exact setup on most of my rigs. The 34" heavy St. Croix Premier is a great baitcaster rod for the money. I also have an old Avid AIR spinning rigged up with braid that I love. Someone mentioned a leader, forget that noise, leave the pike tackle at home....

Tubes, tubes, and more tubes. White, white with blood tips, white, and my favorite, glow... If you can find them, the GitZit glow tubes absolutely rock. Other baits like Darter's work well. I've already got one rod tied up with a chartreuse glow Lindy Darter and the rest are all tied up with tube jigs that will don GitZit's... ;)

Areas to try are pretty simple... look for any structure where the lakers can push forage and areas where they can ambush. Steep ledges, breaks, points, edges of sunken islands, etc... The steeper the break, the more attractive it is. Later in the season look to sandy areas as well. Large sand flats are great spots for the lakers to gulp up perch in late-Feb. and through March.

Move often. If you don't have a mark in 20 mins., time to go.

Overall depth makes literally no difference, as they're water column nomads. They'll travel over 3' of water or 300' without a blink. They can show up anywhere, but I bet 90% of the fish I've marked and/or caught have been at ~25' down. When you get a mark, keep doing what you were doing, and when the fish reacts, start moving that bait either up or down. I've watched them chase 40' before engulfing a giant tube.

When they hit, hang on to your rod and your wallet... uber-addicting!

Posted on: 2011/12/29 6:09

LSF Member
From Bemidji, MN
Glow in the dark or white tube jigs.

Buzz bombs

Buck tail jigs with a shiner or Cisco

Cisco on a set line.

Sonars

Posted on: 2011/12/29 8:34

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page