Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: laker patterns
LSF Member
From Hastings MN, Siren WI
I am pretty new to fishing for lakers, or trout in general through the ice. One thing for sure is that I do know is this is FUN stuff, and wish that I could do it more often. Thanks for getting me even more excited about my trip next month. Can't wait.

Posted on: 2011/12/29 18:15

LSF Member
From Faribault
I haved iced fished Laker for only 2 Years I started out white Tube jig and caught 1 Laker had a lot of chasers so I Tried different Lures and my best LUCK was with a Buckshot yes Buckshot Last year I caught 8 on the buckshot in 3 Days fishing 2 differnt Lakes

Posted on: 2011/12/29 19:42
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Saint Francis
The size of bait you are using is a pretty big factor depending on the lake you are fishing. Some lakes like Superior have larger forage therefore you will have better luck using larger offerings. Most of the lakers I have caught have come on walleye sized jigs and minnows. I usually go with a lindy darter or a medium sized tube jig for jigging. For my other line I will use a tip up baited with a rainbow shiner, medium sucker, or frozen cisco right on the bottom in 50 or less ft of water on a steep break or some other structure. The bigger lakers seem to like to suck bait right off the bottom in my experience. I'm not saying you can't catch them jigging, But the bigger ones I have caught have come on tip ups right on or just off the bottom. Hope this helps. Good luck and hold on.

Posted on: 2012/1/8 13:54

LSF Member
Wow these are incredible posts, guys! I want to see those posts coming in big numbers!!! I'm going to have my first outing for ice lakers in 10 days, the question is what time of day (or night ) is this fish active, is it worth to spend a night on the ice or should I concentrate on fishing during the day?

Posted on: 2014/2/4 18:13

LSF Member
From andover
The best times of the day is early in the morning or late afternoon into evening. here is how i would rate the time's of the day.

1. early morning/late afternoon into evening
2. day time
3. night time

I also agree that live or dead bait on the bottom produce larger lakers. good luck.

Posted on: 2014/2/4 18:42

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

LSF Member
Thank you for your input, Reinhard, now I can be sure that I can nap couple hours between the shifts)))

Posted on: 2014/2/4 19:52

LSF Member
From andover
Where are you going for the lakers? good luck

Posted on: 2014/2/4 20:21

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.

LSF Member
Going to Grand Rapids area! Will post a report if the fishing is going to be successful! Well fishing is always no matter what!

Posted on: 2014/2/5 8:57

LSF Member
From Red Lake Falls, MN
I spent some time ice fishing for Lakers in Alaska, but I am by no means an expert. I had the best luck with tube jigs. Here is a link for the Alaska section of ice shanty. There is some nice pictures of 20-30 lbers, and some decent conversation about what has worked for people. Hopefully this help get you started. http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=263089.0

Posted on: 2014/2/5 9:30

LSF Member
From Red Lake Falls, MN
Was trying to upload a jpeg. But for some reason it wouldn't work. Sorry.

Posted on: 2014/2/5 9:39

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page