Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Smelt Run
LSF Member
From Plymouth, MN
Ok I moved away from Duluth last year. I am looking for info on the water temps in the streams and if anyone has been getting any smelt yet this year. I really want to make some runs up there this year but want to make sure I can get at least a few smelt. Any info would help!! Thanks and good luck with the loopers!!

Posted on: 2010/3/28 20:01
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Smelt Run
LSF Member
From Duluth
bit early yet, I'm not a smelter but read that 42-43F is when they run? L.S. looks a tad bit chilly yet

http://www.coastwatch.msu.edu/superior/s1.html

I'll post when I hear anything happening

Posted on: 2010/3/29 8:27

Rick

LSF Member
From Central MN/Blackhoof
Stream temps broke 40 last week, but those were highs and only on a few of the tribs. Averages were more in the 35-36 range with overnight lows around 31-32.

Generally overnight stream temps have to be in the low 40's before you get the smelt runs, so it's a bit early yet.

The Cooperative MPCA/DNR stream gauging program as well as Duluth Streams (Duluthstreams.org) have realtime temp transmitters as part of their sonde packages on a couple lower shore tribs. Probably your best tool for figuring out when to go.
Regards-

Posted on: 2010/3/29 10:58

So does anyone still get any Smelt with Dipnets on the Lester or the Knife rivers at night?

Or is only way down at Park Point?

Posted on: 2010/3/29 16:40

LSF Member
From Eveleth, Mn.
Yes you can get smelt at either river, when the time comes.

Posted on: 2010/3/29 16:54

Has anyone heard of, or seen any Smelt Dip netting success in the past few years.

We plan on hitting the Lester or Knife some night when the Smelt are running. It would be nice to get a 5 gallon bucket full.

Has anyone seen this done in the past few years, I would love to hear of some kind of report, so we don't waste our time..

Posted on: 2010/3/30 13:04

LSF Member
From Plymouth, MN
Thanks for all the info! I will keep an eye on those web sites and the water temps. Keep me updated if people start pulling any of those shinny fish sticks.

Posted on: 2010/3/31 21:57

LSF Member
From Champlin MN
Went up last year and got a total of 5, so the good old days of smelting might be a thing of the past. But its still a good time....

Posted on: 2010/4/1 15:54

Smelters

This site seems to be the only current place to find any info on the 2010 smelt run and lake temps. I know Im a little early, but I live a several hours away and enjoy taking my boys up to take a few smelt. Is this the best site for info? We usually can only get up for one night and like to make the most of it. Thanks for any reply. I hope you all wintered well.

Spiker

Posted on: 2010/4/2 19:45

LSF Member
From Duluth
people have been trying at the lester, been tight lipped so far. try calling Marine General tomorrow to see if they've heard anything, they're usually pretty helpful and get the up to date info

Welcome to LSF

Posted on: 2010/4/2 20:12

Rick

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page