Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Band members WILL net Lake Bemidji
LSF Member
From Chanhassen
Correct but the rights to hunt fish and gather are only for the lands ceded in 1837 treaty...

The lands ceded in 1855 did not grant that right or take it away from the ceded lands from 1837.

Since the supreme court states that the 1855 treaty did not take rights away granted in the 1837 treaty, it would make sense it would not pass on rights that were not spelled out for the 1855 ceded lands.

"The Mississippi, Pillager, and Lake Winnibigoshish bands of Chippewa Indians hereby cede, sell, and convey to the United States all their right, title, and interest in, and to, the lands now owned and claimed by them, in the Territory of Minnesota, and included within the following boundaries " Quote from the 1855 treaty..

Sounds like they gave up ALL rights to this chunk of property..

Posted on: 2010/5/11 23:07
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From rockford/buffalo Minnesota
Quote:

bigdutch wrote:
Quote:

Eyepod wrote:
Quote:

Northcountry wrote:
Do you live up here? Do you deal with the Natives up here like we do every day? I'd love to see you go down there and protest... I know I won't. They won't care anyway. Do you think some fishermen yelling is going to make them wake up and think, "They're right, let's go home!"? I've seen so many beatings and heard about WAY too many shootings in Bemidji to go looking for a fight. This isn't the steps at the Capitol....

I think the best way for us to do something is to keep on the legislators, and to pray that law enforcement gets things right on Friday.

Fear and trust in our Government are not among the things I posses. Matt I love ya bro but I think you are missing the point of a "peaceful" protest. Nobody needs to get hurt. BTW, our message is not to the Indians at all, it is to our government and fellow citizens.

The protesting up there will do far more than going down to the Capital steps, this I can gaurantee! I hope a thousand fishermen show up and make a monsterous uproar!

Dutch, I'm with you to but this could have a negative impact as well look how well it helped in wisc! Mike I also want to be there but I think we have a better chance of getting arrested than they do! The carp should be in the shallows I hope they get nets full of em!!! Matt post some photos if you make it as an observer. I know most of you dont care but perm has posted a message on this:
Regarding the Leech Lake-White Earth fishing protest set for May 14 in northern Minnesota ...

PERM is asking people to stay away.

If you feel the need to observe, please observe only.

Make it a non-event.

Posted on: 2010/5/12 12:44

LSF Member
From Turtle River
Read the Pioneer, Sen. Olson's response to this is in their today. Not happy with the coverage our local paper has given this, but pouring concrete at the beaver hockey stadium is front page news....anyway...

Steve i think you're right this treaty is totally different from the 1837 one from the Mille Lacs and N Wisc case in '99.

I wish the tribes luck on Friday, I will not be wasting my time giving them more unneccessary attention.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 9:52

LSF Member
From East Gull Lake/Bemidji
What did senator Olson say? I don't get the paper and I can't find it on the pioneer website?

Posted on: 2010/5/13 11:14

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page