Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Dead Lake
LSF Member
Ok guys - the family and I will be heading up to Dead Lake on July 31st spending the entire first week of August up there.

My daughter is two so we will be doing some pan fishing but I definitely will be getting out looking for some eyes.

This is my first time at Dead lake so I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what to expect. And if anyone wants to give up their favorite spots let me know!

We will have a boat so anywhere on the lake is fine.

Also if anyone has fished up there already this year, how'd it go?

Thanks in advance.
Jim

Posted on: 2010/6/25 11:55
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Dead Lake
LSF Member
From Dead Lake - Otter Tail County
Just moved onto Dead, will be looking for Eyes as time permits. Where are you staying? North arm area has structure that holds fish as does the East arm. PM me later in the month and I may be able to send you in the right direction. There are also many other great lakes to fish within a few miles of Dead you may want to plan on fishing one of the others one day if you hear of a hot bite.

Posted on: 2010/6/30 10:57

LSF Member
From Dead Lake - Otter Tail County
Just moved onto Dead, will be looking for Eyes as time permits. Where are you staying? North arm area has structure that holds fish as does the East arm. PM me later in the month and I may be able to send you in the right direction. There are also many other great lakes to fish within a few miles of Dead you may want to plan on fishing one of the others one day if you hear of a hot bite.

Posted on: 2010/6/30 11:28

LSF Member
Dead Lake suffers from hordes of small northerns. For walleyes I have had the best luck slip bobbering over rock piles, sit and wait for the fish to turn on vs trolling into so many small northerns. Pan fish can be good or better but you need to hit a good spot, lots of weed beds so find an inside corner near deep water.
I might hit Star Lake and try for some of those 8-10" sunfish there is a 5 fish limit. Try over deep rock piles for the biggest sunnies.For general fish try off the weedline of the SW bay.

Posted on: 2010/6/30 14:45

LSF Member
Quote:

jtoppari wrote:

Thank you sir - we stay north edge - at Kimps. PM will be coming.

Posted on: 2010/7/12 15:24

LSF Member
Quote:

kobear wrote:
Dead Lake suffers from hordes of small northerns. For walleyes I have had the best luck slip bobbering over rock piles, sit and wait for the fish to turn on vs trolling into so many small northerns. Pan fish can be good or better but you need to hit a good spot, lots of weed beds so find an inside corner near deep water.
I might hit Star Lake and try for some of those 8-10" sunfish there is a 5 fish limit. Try over deep rock piles for the biggest sunnies.For general fish try off the weedline of the SW bay.

This response is basically the same that i have gotten from family members up in the area. Tons of small northern.

I might have to swing on over to Star too.

When you say rock piles, a cousin of mine said there is a pretty good sized restaurant/windmill building and that you typically can find rock formations in that area. You know where I am talking about?

Posted on: 2010/7/12 15:27

Just got back from a week at Dead Lake. I also stayed at Kimps. I've been going up their since about 10th grade of high school. I m now 39. Slayed the largemouth..as usual. For Walleye, I might try Dead and if it is "dead " (no pun intended) I'd try a different lake. Maybe Ottertail, Big Pine, etc. For the bass a slip bobber with a leech casted and retrieved up along the weedline usingthe trolling motor to keep you moving worked great. We also did good on the Drop shot with a 4 1/2 purple plastic worm. Also main lake points near deep water in the early morning worked good for the bass. We had spots were we would get 25 bass. some pushing 4 1/2 pounds. That is fun. The gills ran big this year..up to 9-inches. We got 3 Walleye all week. I guess they bit for the first part of June and just disappeared. Typical for us at dead Lake. Should have been here last week. By the way, ask John Kimple about my unofficial lake record at Dead Lake caught in '09. A 22 pound 11 ounce Carp..ugh. Incidentally I have a 6 pound 3 ounce bass on th wall I caught from their was well. Got it in the little weedy island right on the Kimps side of Goat Island.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 23:44

For bait, Stolls in Dent had the best prices and best quality on Leeches and crawlers near Kimps. Also if you go by Fleet Farm in Fergus Falls by your crawlers there. Best prices and a fantastic tackle section..best I've seen next to Cabelas. If you want redtail minnows or any thing fancy the bait shop in Perham is the place to go.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 23:47

Quote:

Razzingto wrote:
Quote:

kobear wrote:

This response is basically the same that i have gotten from family members up in the area. Tons of small northern.

I might have to swing on over to Star too.

When you say rock piles, a cousin of mine said there is a pretty good sized restaurant/windmill building and that you typically can find rock formations in that area. You know where I am talking about?

Im not sure about this area. I know if you drift a 1/16 ounce jig with a white twisty tail body tipped with a minnow in 6-12 foot of water it can be fantastic. We've had 50-crappie mornings doing this, caught limits of Walleye,etc.,etc. The windier the better. 1/16 ounce is good casue any bigger and you end in the weeds, any lighter and you dont drop deep enough.

Posted on: 2010/7/13 23:52

LSF Member
Wow great information Huskerrod. Thanks a ton.

I am taking it you are from NE? I'm in Omaha.

Seems like this area of Minnesota gets a lot of Nebraskans up there.

Posted on: 2010/7/16 9:44

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page