Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Slugs
LSF Member
From Isanti, MN
What are the benefits of shooting Sabots through a rifled barrel, versed shooting rifled slugs through an REM barrel?

Can you shoot rifled slugs through a rifled barrel?

Posted on: 2010/11/10 23:18

If fishing were easy, it would be called "YOUR MOM".
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Slugs
LSF Member
From Princeton,MN
Sabots are made to ride the bore of the rifled barrel creating spin stabilizing the bullet. When you get a sabot that the guns likes groups around 1" are attainable. This will only come with trial and error finding the slug that your gun really likes.

Rifled slug have groves in the slug them self creating spin. Accuracy around 2-3" at 100yds would be considered acceptable. but 3-5" is more common at that range.

You could shoot rifled slugs thru a rifled barrel, but that would create a lot of leading. Also the twist of the slug itself, and the the barrel would not be the same, creating two forces fighting each other degrading accuracy.

Posted on: 2010/11/11 0:11

LSF Member
From Bemidji, MN
Quote:

JJ wrote:
Sabots are made to ride the bore of the rifled barrel creating spin stabilizing the bullet. When you get a sabot that the guns likes groups around 1" are attainable. This will only come with trial and error finding the slug that your gun really likes.

Rifled slug have groves in the slug them self creating spin. Accuracy around 2-3" at 100yds would be considered acceptable. but 3-5" is more common at that range.

You could shoot rifled slugs thru a rifled barrel, but that would create a lot of leading. Also the twist of the slug itself, and the the barrel would not be the same, creating two forces fighting each other degrading accuracy.

JJ is right on here.

Posted on: 2010/11/11 8:12

LSF Member
From St. Henry, MN
I agree with JJ. The one thing I would add is that I have found generally a sabot is moving way faster, and therefore shoots way flatter than a rifled slug. The sabots I shoot only have 1" of drop from 50 to 115 yds. It is amazing the groups you can shoot with a shotgun at some pretty long ranges!

The other thing I would say, that JJ touched on is DONT buy 5 boxes of the same sabot until you know which one your gun prefers. I have a few buddies that shoot rifled barrels like me, and all of us shoot a different sabot, because our guns really prefer certain slugs. Its not a one shell fits all by any means.

Posted on: 2010/11/11 10:17

LSF Member
From Isanti, MN
I tried the Winchester dual bonds tonight, simply for the fact that Fleet Farm had them on sale. Shot one at 50 yards to see if I was still on (haven't shot the hastings barrel in about years). I used the drop ratio on the box and at about 80 yards, I hit right where I aimed.

Attach file:

jpg  109_4797.JPG (734.14 KB)
1143_4cdcabe067813.jpg 2832X2128 px

Posted on: 2010/11/11 21:53

If fishing were easy, it would be called "YOUR MOM".

LSF Member
From MN
Heres my two cents (from a Marine former competitive shooter). If you are gonna to use Sabots get one that shoots flat and hits hard out to 150 yds. Sight in at 125 (has to be less than 3" high at 75 yds) so its less than three low at 150. There is an ideal range to be dead on at but we are not shootin dogs at 300 yds. Also do not get your panties in a twist if you group at 3" to 4" at 125 yds. Thats damn good field accuracy for a shotgun at that range. You could do better with the right gun, barrel, ammo and the fool pulling the trigger, but whitetails have a decent kill zone. You probably will kill your deer within 100 yds or less, its nice to have confidence you have the ability to take one further. Hastings makes some damn fine rifled barrels if you want to get real serious. SEMPER FI and HAPPY BIRTHDAY Marines 235 years NOVEMBER 10, 1775 Tun Tavern.

Posted on: 2010/11/13 12:15

Hunting Field Staff
From Winona MN
Sabots are superior to rifled slugs..... unless you go with Brenneky Golds(rifled slug made to shoot out of a rifled barrel)....

and JJ hit the nail on the head..

Now this is way beyond most guys thinking but slug guns for the most part have 3 diff. rate of twists.. 1:28 ; 1:32 and 1:34. Knowing that most slug barrels are only 22".

A guy need to look at slug weight and velocity to get the most accuracy out of their gun

also Hasting is belly-up.

Posted on: 2010/11/21 0:12

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page