Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 »

Insurance on your Fish House?
LSF Member
From Isanti
2 buddies and myself built a very nice wheelhouse, but are having trouble insuring it.We purchased the trailer, so that is the only documentation we have. 2of us have State Farm, and they have been less than helpful, eventually declining to insure it- I've been with them over 20 years. You must be able to insure these things? Those of you that do, can I ask how much the premiums run, and who you use? Thanks

Posted on: 2010/11/14 18:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Insurance on your Fish House?
LSF Member
From Lake Osakis, MN
I have State Farm and mine is covered under my homeowners policy. Agent says that it is personal property and is covered even when on the ice. Not sure if it would make a difference but mine is purchased from Ice Castle and not home made.

Posted on: 2010/11/14 20:00

Pro Staff
From Southern MN
Mine is covered under our homeowners policy. Mine is homemade. It costs about 65 bucks a year. Northstar is the company that we are with. Most of the national insurance companies will not write any policy for fishhouses. Find one that is based in the noethern climates and you should be good to go.

Posted on: 2010/11/14 22:00

jimmyrig@lakestatefishing.com

LSF Member
Try an insurance "broker". They work with a lot of different companies. When we bought our park model I had a hard time finding someone to insurance it, at least for a reasonable price. I had American family for over 20 years and they wanted more for our park model than what we pay for our home. Went to a broker and lowered ALL of my policies, auto, home, boat and the park model was reasonable. They will find the company that will give you the best rate out there, and maybe lower your other polices also. Needless to say I dumped American Family faster than you could blink.

Posted on: 2010/11/14 22:13

Anonymous
Quote:

Jimmyrig wrote:
Mine is covered under our homeowners policy. Mine is homemade. It costs about 65 bucks a year. Northstar is the company that we are with. Most of the national insurance companies will not write any policy for fishhouses. Find one that is based in the noethern climates and you should be good to go.

I use Northstar also, for auto and home too. They will insure your shack, but not a motorcycle. lol Its shouldnt cost you more than $125 a year to insure your shack, tops!

Posted on: 2010/11/14 22:22

LSF Member
From Rogers, MN
Quote:

RetiredonOsakis wrote:
I have State Farm and mine is covered under my homeowners policy. Agent says that it is personal property and is covered even when on the ice.

I'd get that in writing from him. You should have to itemize it and name a value on an inland marine policy or on an auto policy, if it's licensed for the road.

If it is a homemade ice house, I only know of one company that will insure it. AutoOwners will do it. You have to itemize it on your homeowners policy. If it's a factory made ice house, there are several companies that will insure it.

I had this issue with one of my clients, and I spoke with at least 5 underwriters who confirmed this. AutoOwners is where we ended up for the guy with the homemade ice house.

Posted on: 2010/11/15 8:27

LSF Member
From 55416
As others have said, the first thing you should do is go to an independent insurance agent. They'll shop all the good carriers that sell through the independents only (Auto Owners, Northstar, Chubb, Dairyland, etc.) and these companies will be a lot more flexible than the big national carriers. Good luck.

Posted on: 2010/11/15 8:51

LSF Member
From Eagan
One other thing to consider......If you do get it covered under your homeowners and you make a claim......Don't be surprized to see you homeowners premium increase anywhere from 10%-30%......

Posted on: 2010/11/15 9:11

LSF Member
From a lake,mn
Most home owners policies will cover you to $1000 is that enough to cover your fish house? I had my first wheel house hit by hail and it my insurance policy for the fish house paid $4200 to fix it. I had it covered under its own policy as a camper that is how most companies cover them.

Posted on: 2010/11/15 9:26

LSF Member
From Linwood, MN
I am an insurance agent and I recommend to my clients to have it written as a seperate camper policy. You automatically have $1000 of coverage to a camper but only if it is on premise. Also it is subject to your homeowners deductible. The other thing to consider is that flood is excluded by your home insurance but if you have a camper policy it will include comprehensive coverage so if it goes in the lake you will be covered with the camper policy. Also, for our company, camper policies are not surcharged for claims. A $5000 ice castle with $500 deductibles costs around $85 a year and no I am not an independant agent. I am with one the major insurers that the rates are so supposedly so high...(LOL)

Posted on: 2010/11/16 14:09

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page