Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Insurance on your Fish House?
LSF Member
From St. Henry, MN
I am also an insurance agent, and I would recomend NOT insuring it on your homeowners policy for 3 major reasons. 1.) if it falls in the lake its NOT covered, 2.) if it is involved in a collision it is NOT covered, 3.) If you have a claim on it it will absolutely effect your premium in a way that you will ot be happy about! I am an independent agent and would be more than happy to help anyone out, and I do have several companies to shop for you!

Posted on: 2010/11/16 14:42
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Lake Osakis, MN
Thank you gentlemen for your responses. I called my State Farm agent back and explained a little more about the type of fish house I had and tolled him the value. The agent agreed that it wouldn't be covered under my homeowners personal property. He checked with the underwriters and I have a separate policy now. Cost's 92 dollars a year for $100 deductible. Good thing it didn't drop through the ice last winter.

Posted on: 2010/11/19 20:35

Pro Staff
From Detroit Lakes/Fergus Falls
Some very good advice here: I had mine insured under my home owners policy: BIG MISTAKE!
I was driving it home from deer camp, when a wheel from it, passed me at 50 mph. Thank God it didn't hurt anyone in oncoming traffic, but the wheel went flying, fish house dropped to the road, bending the frame, causing siding to get knocked loose, etc. I turned in the claim, and had it repaired and covered. Only to discover a month later that the heater had also become dislodged and broken. I called the insurance company and would have needed to file a second claim, since I signed off on the first one!
It wasn't worth the second deductible.
Figured it was done.....now fast forward a year....I went to change my home insurance and that showed up as a "claim"....I've been dinged a "service charge" for that claim, even though it had nothing to do with the house!
I'd get a separate policy for any add-ons like that!
One of the happiest days of my life was when I bought that fish house........one of the second happiest was when I sold my that fish house!
I'll stick to my portables!

Posted on: 2010/11/19 23:31

LSF Member
From East Central,MN
Im purchasing a new ice castle today, I am getting a quote of $432 a year through Farmers, does that seem high?? Can anyone help me out?

2018 Ice Castle Lake of the Woods 16 feet plus v. Ac/fridge/oven. Value around 19k.

Posted on: 3/2 12:46:53
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same" Ronald Reagan
2014 LSF Fall Trolling Get Together Champion

LSF Member
From Lake Lillian, MN
Quote:

sunkinboat wrote:
Im purchasing a new ice castle today, I am getting a quote of $432 a year through Farmers, does that seem high?? Can anyone help me out?

2018 Ice Castle Lake of the Woods 16 feet plus v. Ac/fridge/oven. Value around 19k.

That seems way high to me. Most of the policies I've seen and been quoted are in the $100-$250 range.

Posted on: 3/2 13:14:19

LSF Member
From Park Rapids
just got my new quote back the other day. 440/year (36/month). Saving about 6 bucks a month compared to my last policy.

Mine is covered for 25k. roadside assistance, they cover it dropping through the ice along with the extraction costs, etc. I have had lots of local agents run fish house quotes for me and this was the best I found. I didn't think that was too bad.

Posted on: 3/3 10:15:21

LSF Member
I have an ice castle that is now like 5 years old and state farm has insured it the whole time. If i remember right when it was brand new i think it was about 100.00 a year this year it was down to 72.00

Posted on: 3/4 9:53:32

LSF Member
What about having it on your Auto policy? That's where my Insurance company put mine.

Posted on: 3/8 14:24:07

LSF Member
Make sure you check with your policy.Some will cover removal from lake some only cover contents.Then there is the on the premises clause.Make sure you ask questions before the inevitable "stuff"happens....then it's too late!!!!Remember insurance is for profit for share holders......not for the person being insured......just the word "claim"gets me going!!!!!c63

Posted on: 3/23 18:46:28

LSF Member
From South Metro
Quote:

jwilly wrote:
What about having it on your Auto policy? That's where my Insurance company put mine.

I'd double check the coverage with it under auto. it may cover any damage that the fish house does on the road - clip mailbox, unhook and damage a structure, but as far as having your fish house repaired, you may be SOL. Kinda like any other small trailer you tow...

Better to ask and find out now, then be told later...

SD

Posted on: 3/24 6:58:29

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page