Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Wolves are herrrre
LSF Member
From Duluth
I live in Hermantown basically a suburb of Duluth, we have quite a deer population around here so I guess it was just a matter of time that the wolves realized this too. Makes me much more worried when I let my dog out to do her business.

http://samcook.areavoices.com/2011/02/01/trail-camera-captures-wolf-on-the-move/

Posted on: 2011/2/2 14:03

Rick
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Wolves are herrrre
LSF Member
From Sauk Rapids, MN
Way too many of them in the state, and they NEED to come off the protected list. We have been dealing with them for about 20 years or so on our family homestead near Orr, MN.

An average "pack" of 5 wolves needs to kill 1 deer every 3.5 days. Do the math....and most packs are larger than 5 here in MN.

The last I read, the population in MN is estimated at over 7,000. The DNR wants the number about 3,000. Thank the Fed's.
With the major snow this season, all I can say is that the "pack" will only grow unless something is done.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 14:18
#10 Test World Record Holder. Muskie 57" RELEASED!

NHRA Super Stock Drag Racing---because all other sports require only 1 ball.

www.oldhabitsracing.com

LSF Member
I thought snow was just as hard or harder on wolves than deer and moose? Was kind of curious to see if this "Real" winter tweaked those numbers at all.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 14:24

LSF Member
From Big Lake, MN
Quote:

oldhabits wrote:
Way too many of them in the state, and they NEED to come off the protected list. We have been dealing with them for about 20 years or so on our family homestead near Orr, MN.

An average "pack" of 5 wolves needs to kill 1 deer every 3.5 days. Do the math....and most packs are larger than 5 here in MN.

The last I read, the population in MN is estimated at over 7,000. The DNR wants the number about 3,000. Thank the Fed's.
With the major snow this season, all I can say is that the "pack" will only grow unless something is done.

With the wolvles and the rather harsh winter this year prepare for Deer numbers to go down and DNR Doe Permit Central next year.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 14:28

LSF Member
From St. Michael, MN
Here's a good site that gives some up to date facts about wolves: www.wolf.org.
It's a good organization, because the focus of the group is to teach facts about wolves, with no affiliation or agenda for or against.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 14:31

LSF Member
Just shoot em, it is called taking matters in to your own hands. Plee self defense it was going at you and your dog, kidding I know what your saying though we have a cabin up in Holyoke MN and during are three weekends of deerhunting we found 2 wolve kills and we were there a total of 6 day's not cool so I hope something gets done soon, it was hard to find deer tracks in the fresh snow without wolve or coyote prints tailing.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 15:20

Pro Staff
From Duluth
No surprise to me. I've had them in my back yard for as long as I've lived here. I'm only about six miles from where those pics were taken as you know Rick. I'd sure like to see less of them.

Posted on: 2011/2/3 9:22

LSF Member
From Longville
There thick around around here too, and have been for years.

http://audubonmagazine.com/features0011/livingwithwolves.html

Posted on: 2011/2/3 10:29

LSF Member
From Longville
The MN DNR is trying to get the feds to delist them so that the state can control their numbers, but until that happens, the DNR's hands are tied.

Posted on: 2011/2/3 10:32

LSF Member
From Duluth
Quote:

Skinny wrote:
No surprise to me. I've had them in my back yard for as long as I've lived here. I'm only about six miles from where those pics were taken as you know Rick. I'd sure like to see less of them.

Yeah I've heard they've been spotted outside of town, this is just getting too close for comfort now that they've established in high density populated areas of town. Just a matter of time until we hear of dogs getting killed.

My brother lives on the same road where the trail cam pics were taken, he said he saw in the snow in his driveway where wolves had tangled with a deer last week.

They can fine me all they want, if I saw any of those wolves tangling with my dog I won't hesitate...

Posted on: 2011/2/3 11:08

Rick

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page