Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Prior Lake Bass
Field Staff
From Belle Plaine/Ely, MN
I never hear much about bass fishing on Prior Lake. Never see or hear of any tournaments out there and its really got me thinking. Anybody fish bass out there? I may gear up sometime and hit it for a full day sometime to try and figure it out a bit. Anybody have any idea's on where to start for them? I'm sure Jamie will be able to chime in an give some advice here!!! Any general info on bass in Prior would be awesome. Locations, depths, structure. etc..

Posted on: 2011/7/13 16:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Prior Lake Bass
LSF Member
5 years ago it was the BEST bass lake in the state in my opinion. Now it is just terrible. Lucky to catch a 13 incher anymore.

Posted on: 2011/7/14 10:19

Field Staff
What happened to it between then and now that turned it upside down?

Posted on: 2011/7/14 10:31

LSF Member
From Prior Lake MN
Well, I wouldn't say it's that bad at all. Was out putting the jet skis in last week, and caught at least twenty LM's off the dock on a 1/8 oz jig and half of a twister tail, with 4 of them being over 3 lbs! Since the ice came off, I have caught a TON of bass... One of the main reasons I don't fish Prior much in the summer-You can't keep the damn things off!!! Last year my little brother caught 2 over 4lbs-close, if not more than 20"s, fishing for sunnies. I think that next to the bluegill, the bass population in Prior is unbelievable! Go out and hit the docks, and shallow weed beds with a 7"brown twister-texas rigged, and you WILL catch a ton of fish! You may have to toss back 20 12''ers before you'll hook into a hog, but it's non stop action out there if you're going for bass. Lot's of big northerns in there too! Get on er man! I'm not a LM guy(easiest fish there is to catch), or i'd be out there everyday

Posted on: 2011/7/14 11:09

LSF Member
From Prior Lake MN
As far as tournaments go, I believe every Thursday there's a bass tourney on Prior, or there was last year. Check out the Prior Lake Hooksetters Bass club....

Posted on: 2011/7/14 11:11

Field Staff
I knew you'd be able to chime in Jamie. I'm thinking I will have to get out there sometime to give it a try. Thats what I was thinking was hitting the docks out there, then pitching jigs and plastics as well as covering water with crankbaits.

Posted on: 2011/7/14 11:16

LSF Member
From Prior Lake MN
If you ever want to hit it together, I'll show you where I've caught the most. There's lot's of little spots that are overlooked, and I know of some rock piles that the fish always seem to congregate around. Good Luck Justin! Report back!

Posted on: 2011/7/14 12:07

Field Staff
Awesome! I will remember that, I know the traffic out there can get outrageous so I'm going to try and fish it on something like a tuesday. Now its time to go get the boat and gear ready for the tournament tonight! Looks like the rain will be done and should be a good night!!

Posted on: 2011/7/14 12:12

LSF Member
From Prior Lake MN
Boat traffic on Prior is nil from Monday-Thursday, you might see a tuber, or a few jet skis, but usually VERY quiet during the weekdays. Good Luck tonight!!!

Posted on: 2011/7/14 12:24

LSF Member
From SE Wright County
Like one other guy said, Prior used to be a great lake with good size bass ( 18-20 inch range). For what ever reason the quality has been dropping every year. I assisted the DNR with a tournament survey along with our MN Bass Fed club a few years back and it was declining then. We fished a club tourney out there last year by default ( was an alternate lake) and it was even worse then last time. We have alot of good hooks who fish and cash checks in money tournaments, everyone struggled as there was looooooots of 12 inchers to be had. There was a 5lb caught and a few others around 3lbs off of one underwater point on the west end of the lake.they were carolina rigging. I know we will skip Prior until it makes the turn, good luck to you!

Posted on: 2011/7/15 1:51

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page