Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Smallies are heating up!
LSF Member
From Prior Lake MN
Hey guys! Had a free Sunday morning this weekend for once, and got out at the crack of dawn on the Mississippi to check out a favorite childhood fishing spot! I remember getting off work from Menards when I was 14, getting home, jumping on my bike and fly down to the river with a small tackle box tied to my waste with a shoelace, filled with jig heads and small twisters, knowing that in a few minutes I'd have a smallie on the end of my line! Well this morning was no different, and YOURREALDAD and I had no sooner descended/fell down the muddy cliff to the waters edge and you could see the fish busting the surface up and down the whole stretch through the fog. Seeing them hitting the surface got me excited right away, as I had just took some advice I had read on good ole LSF and invested in some surface poppers which I'd never tried! My first cast into the dense fog with a Gold/Chrome Rapala surface popper, immediately trigger a 14"er before I could even close my bail! After hookin up with a few fish around the same size, I hooked into something good! He pulled drag for a while and when I finally got him turned around and headed upriver, he jumped a foot out of the water and I saw he was a very decent fish!!! A minute later he was coming in to shore but got wrapped around some deadfall and I thought for sure I'd lose him. But didn't give him the chance and went in to the water to get him. I'm not sure on length or weight, Josh snapped the picture just as the sun was finally coming up over the trees and I tossed him back in for me to catch next week!!! It was weird though, they stopped hitting the surface popper as soon as the sun came up....Anyone ever experience this?

Attach file:

jpg  Smally2-9.24.11.JPG (108.78 KB)
13130_4e81db9e8f13c.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  Smally9.24.11.JPG (91.94 KB)
13130_4e81dbb25bec9.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/9/27 9:20

Re: Smallies are heating up!
LSF Member
Nice

Posted on: 2011/9/27 9:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Blaine,MN/Malmo,MN
Nice fish, sure was interesting in the fog sat and sun mornin dodging decoys and duck hunters.

Posted on: 2011/9/27 9:59

LSF Member
From Prior Lake MN
Sorry Josh, don't want you to feel left out lol, here's your pic!

Attach file:

jpg  Joshsmally9.24.11.JPG (179.06 KB)
13130_4e81e5c1b7a76.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/9/27 10:03

LSF Member
From Fridley
Hard to beat top water smallmouth!

Posted on: 2011/9/27 10:46

LSF Member
From Prior Lake MN
You got that right! I found it much more enjoyable watching and waiting for them to hit instead of snagging jigs on rocks all day, but the jigs were a must once the sun came up!

Posted on: 2011/9/27 10:50

LSF Member
From Hastings MN, Siren WI
First off nice fish. Second topwater fishing is a favorite of mine. When the fish are feeding on the surface, I always bring out the top water baits. Its a blast seeing/hearing them hit the surface. What you use and how you present them can be deadly. I find that early season, and fall are the best times for all species. Northerns are my favorite!

Posted on: 2011/9/27 11:20

LSF Member
From Twin Cities/Marcell
Looks like good times were had! Thanks for the report.

Posted on: 2011/9/27 12:01

chet_long@lakestatefishing.com

Successful men do what failures refuse to do.

LSF Member
From Prior Lake MN
Quote:

TopWaterTroy wrote:
First off nice fish. Second topwater fishing is a favorite of mine. When the fish are feeding on the surface, I always bring out the top water baits. Its a blast seeing/hearing them hit the surface. What you use and how you present them can be deadly. I find that early season, and fall are the best times for all species. Northerns are my favorite!

I did end up getting two northerns, and they hit when it was right on shore and I was taking it in fast. Scared the - out me both times! I'm just hoping the water there goes down just a little bit more. The river in the background is not the actual river, but a channel off the river that creates an island. This inside channel ranges from 3-7fow and has a ton of pools with the entire bottom made up of large boulders and rocks, along with lots of concrete pieces that I'm not sure how they got there, but anyhow, it's what I would think to be prime smallmouth territory. Does the bite get better for these guys as it gets colder?

Posted on: 2011/9/27 12:12

LSF Member
hey I just moved to the bemidji area from ohio does the Mississippi River around here hold smallmouth? thanks for your help

Posted on: 2014/3/31 14:48

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page