Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 »

Building a fish house
LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
So, I have been toying with the idea of constructing my own fish house for awhile. The limiting factor was always the trailer/frame. I ended up coming across a guy who had a pop-up camper destroyed by mice and I told him I'd take it for free (just for the frame of course).

So here I sit with a frame, and I've realized there are dozens of options on materials for flooring, framing the walls, exterior siding, insulation, etc... I'm just curious from those of you who have undertaken this type of job what type of materials you used and the pros or cons.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 12:15

Re: Building a fish house
LSF Member
From Zimmerman/Roseau MN
you are going to want to use treated plywood for the floor I would go at least 5/8 you want it nice and solid. I myself would use marine grade. you don't want it to rot and it is going to be getting wet a lot. as for the walls 2x2 or 2x3 and insulate it with the pink high density foam. others might have better and different ideas but it's a start!
good luck and post pics!

Posted on: 2011/11/3 14:12

LSF Member
From Wahkon,MN
What is your budget? Thats the main ?

Personally, I very much hate the idea of leaving a house high off the ice. They are a pain to bobber fish as you have to be directly over the hole to see. Its a long way to reach down to grab your fish. Even with tubes the holes easily re freeze and the floor is pretty cold unless you insulate well.

The one pro they have is you dont have to clean up the house when you dig holes.

With that said I would make a drop axle design, myself.

2x2 or 2x3 for framing.
CDX ply, t-8 or something similar for the outside. It is easily painted and needs no covering other than paint every few years.
Steel roof with slight pitch and some overhang so water wont run down the ply.

Be careful with tongue weight in these, I have seen some camper frame fish houses with negative tongue weight.

Good luck, have fun.--Mark

Posted on: 2011/11/3 14:13

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
I'm still toying with the idea of detaching the axle, I have a couple options for that already at home, I'm not too worried about it.
My budget shouldn't be too restrictive, it's not high in the thousands but I should be able to get it done with good materials.

So 2X2 seems to be the right call, that's what I was thinking. Any ideas on interior paneling? I've seen some ABS plastic stuff with fasteners which looks pretty good. Might go with wood, but definitely not toung-and-groove, too heavy.

Another question on framing - what sort of spacing between the 2X2s, I mean it's not a house so is 16" on center too many studs? I'm also thinking I should use hurricane fasteners where it makes sense.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 14:42

LSF Member
From West - Metro
If you are using 2x2s I would use 2x4s turned sideways at the corners and make sure they are nice and sturdy. Then plot out all your windows if any and the door. Put a stud/2x2 at the places you want to have windows/door. With the remaining space I personaly wouldn't go to far away from 16" on center but I'm sure guys will say you can. Use your noggin and I'm sure your gonna be fine.

I would also use cedar 2x2s, you can treat them with something of you want but either way they are much lighter than green treated.

Remember the pics!!!

Posted on: 2011/11/3 15:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Walker
24" o.c. is plenty sturdy once the panneling and siding are on.

I used a 1/4" crown pnumatic stapler to attach 1/4" luan plywood inside for panneling. I then finnished nailed 2" wide strips of luan to cover the seams and staple lines and for base trim. Once it's polyed or painted it looks good. If I did it again I think I would run my treated plywood and carpet up the walls 4" or so to keep the moisture from wicking up into the panneling.

There are nicer looking options for siding ($$$) but I like plain old 3/8" CDX plywood.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 15:19

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
I'll make sure to post pics as I move along, thanks for all the advice so far. Open to more if anyone has experience in this stuff.

Posted on: 2011/11/3 15:41

LSF Member
From minnesota
I'm also thinking about building a house. Does anyone have any thoughts on just paneling the inside of the house and spray foaming the outer side of that a good couple inches and then painting over that? This would get rid of having to put siding on the outside and it would reduce alot of weight.

I have seen pics of this type of design just wondering if anyone had personal experience and advice.

Posted on: 2011/11/20 11:26

LSF Member
From Andover / Mankato
I'm in the process of designing my own house right now via AutoCAD and the way that I am thinking I am going to build it is framed with 2x2's every 24" O.C. with a 2x6 treated base and 5/8" flooring.

After i build the frame of the base i am going to lay down some foam on the base then the flooring and screw through all of it this way he floor gets a tight insulation(did this on my last house, worked great). Then after the base is done I will put the carpet on and fasten that down this way it is under the walls and stays as tight as possible.

Next i am going to use 4x8 sheets of rubberized paneling found at Menards to do the walls. This is very flimsy stuff so i will put this on the walls before i erect them.

After the walls are up i will wire it and then insulate. finish by wrapping the outside of he house with aluminum flashing and then seal it all with roll on bed-liner for you truck this will make it as light as possible while keeping it very ridgid.

take what you will from this so far it seems to be going great.

Posted on: 2011/11/20 19:16

Anonymous
Quote:

chuckb09 wrote:
I'm also thinking about building a house. Does anyone have any thoughts on just paneling the inside of the house and spray foaming the outer side of that a good couple inches and then painting over that? This would get rid of having to put siding on the outside and it would reduce alot of weight.

I have seen pics of this type of design just wondering if anyone had personal experience and advice.

The foam will crack a bit and cause gaps. I would panel the outside.

Posted on: 2011/11/20 19:33

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page