Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Building a fish house
LSF Member
From Anoka
For mine I used 3/4 treated plywood for floor.
Then I framed in walls using 3x2s and 2x4s on top.
I found Menards sells beat up doors very cheap and used doors for front and back and found a guy on CL that sells garage panels.
These are metal and insulated and no maintenance.
For roof topper free.
I used vinyl flooring and real catch covers so it will last.
Here's a link to mine.
Good luck!

http://www.lakestatefishing.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&type=&topic_id=49937&forum=6

Posted on: 2011/11/22 19:13
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
I'm glad I'm not the only one to try this, and I also found one for sale on CL, nice knotty pine interior and all that - which mine won't be but it looked nice anyway. I've actually decided on aluminum studs for weight and stability purposes at 24"oc. I haven't decided on flooring yet but for some reason I don't think rigidity will be an issue since the camper frame is fairly stout. Still unsure on the axle too. I'll get some "before" pics up here soon.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 20:16

LSF Member
From East Central,MN
I am working on an ultralight skid house. Trying to make it sturdy, yet light. Framing is all 2x3 and 2x2, 1/4" on the walls, vinyl siding, half inch floor, 3/8 roof with tin on top, 2x10 skids. I will try and get some pics up in the next few days.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 20:47
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same" Ronald Reagan
2014 LSF Fall Trolling Get Together Champion

LSF Member
From Baldwin, WI/Twin Cities Area
A couple of things I did when building the 3 house I have, is put 2'' pick insulation under the floor. After you have your plywood down for the floor pound 2'' nails into the floor then cut your insulation snug so you have to pound it into the space and apply a little foam board caulk.

I also like to use 2x2 studs every 2 feet and then wrap the whole house in plastic house wrap and apply your siding right to the studs. Saves money and weight by not having plywood on the outside.

Good Luck!

Posted on: 2011/11/22 21:48

LSF Member
From East Central,MN
Good ideas tap but with just 2x2 studs every 24" and siding without sheeting, how sturdy could that be?

Posted on: 2011/11/22 21:51
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same" Ronald Reagan
2014 LSF Fall Trolling Get Together Champion

LSF Member
From Hiding from the Wife!
If you use aluminum or steel 4" double lap house siding it would be rigid enough. I think that vinyl would bow or stress going down the road.

Posted on: 2011/11/22 22:28

LSF Member
From Pillager,MN
i did the same as tap but i used some sheets of corigated plastic it looks like card board but its plastic then i used tyvek house wrap then vinyl siding and mine is light and i run down the highway at 70 mph no problem

Posted on: 2011/11/23 0:05

LSF Member
From Hiding from the Wife!
Never thought of the corrugated plastic! Where do you find that at and how big are the sheets? Maybe just wrap it in 3/8 or 1/4" ply to keep the weight down if you insist on using it. Definitely use Tyvek rather than plastic as a moisture barrier for the simple fact that it allows the house to breathe. There's a reason you home is wrapped in Tyvek rather than poly!

Posted on: 2011/11/23 8:58

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
Wow, it's been awhile. I moved a couple years ago and am finally just now getting around to this build. I have pictures of dismantling the pop-up and now it's just a frame. This weekend I'll be cleaning up the hardware, putting marine grade plywood down for my floor, plotting out the windows and doors and building stud walls. After talking to a guy that just built his own ice castle type house, I'll be doing 2x2 on 24" and using rubber Menards roofing material. It's all just too easy. Insulated with rigid foam, tyvek outer walls with steel siding fastened directly to the studs. That's sort of where I'm heading. I'd like to post pictures, anyone know how to do that from an iPhone? I haven't been on here in a longggg time lol. Thanks.

Posted on: 2016/5/27 12:24

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
http://s347.photobucket.com/user/arneb04/Mobile%20Uploads/story

Hopefully that link works.

At any rate. I finally finished my build, and I had hoped to share the progress along the way but it didn't happen. as you can see, from the first post of this thread it's been a long time. A new town, new job, family blah blah.

So. I had an old popup camper. Stripped it down, built it up and what you see is the result of a lot of hard work. The frame I left largely untouched, it's a pretty good frame, it wasn't really rusty or anything. I hit it with black rust stopper spray paint and some rattle can bed liner material. The structure frame is 2X2 sort of. Since 2X2s seem to be awfully twisted I used 2X4 and ripped them in half, and then used 2X2s (real ones) for other things like interior stuff and the roof. It screws up measurements a bit, but it worked way better. The floor is treated 5/8 plywood. I did have to add in some braces because there was a seem that didn't fall on any preexisting trailer support joists. The material you see on the floor that looks like wood is waterproof foam anti-fatigue mosaic tile stuff. Found it at menards on clearance. It should provide nice cushion and insulation. Yes it is durable, it was in before any interior work started and held up beautifully. For the interior siding I bought some thin t&g (5/16"). It was beaded on one side which i used for the roof. The I mostly did rough side out through the rst of the interior just for contrast. Bought at Menards. Wired in 3 120V outlets with 14-2. Also wired in 2 LED lights in the ceiling which I bought at etrailer, and also wired in 2 LED hole lights which I got on Amazon. The 12V lighting I just used speaker wire. All is wired to the power converter I salvaged from the camper. 25' RV cord and all. Works great. That is mostly housed into the utility box on the front. I just used aluminum chimney flashing material to cover the plywood on that and sealed it with marine caulk. Bought my heater and L&M fleet supply. It's ventless. I struggled with that idea a lot. I don't like the ventless ones, but I couldn't find a vented heater I wanted to use with the space I had to deal with. Exterior is all steel garage sheeting. That's fastened directly to the studs with just house wrap in between. Perfectly fine and it is definitely rigid enough. Especially with the interior siding holding it all together. Hardest thing to find was the door. You can't hardly find an RV door for less than $500. So what I bought is a 28"X72 steel "mobile home" door from Menards. Insulated, and was $192. Made by AJ manufacturing if you need. Roof also is steel siding, with tar paper underneath and house wrap. I did put plywood on the roof for strength. All said and done, I have more money into it than I thought I would, but I would say I'm at or below $1000 since the camper was free. It was a lot of work since I'm not a "builder" but it will definitely be worth it soon. If anyone has questions I would be more than happy to answer!

Posted on: 2016/11/14 9:20

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page