Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 »

History
LSF Member
From Mille Lacs/Landfall
Has there ever been a year like this in recorded history on Mille Lacs? With open water on January 6th, I would bet it has not. Maybe Steve F. or others with extensive knowledge would know??? My grandad's brother owned the drift inn near Vineland but he is long dead or else I would ask old Moose.

Posted on: 2012/1/6 14:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: History
LSF Member
From Leech Lake/Lake Mille Lacs
Quote:

Oldstar wrote:
Has there ever been a year like this in recorded history on Mille Lacs? With open water on January 6th, I would bet it has not. Maybe Steve F. or others with extensive knowledge would know??? My grandad's brother owned the drift inn near Vineland but he is long dead or else I would ask old Moose.

In'99 ( I think that was the year) I was in a boat on Lake Mille Lacs January 1st but it got cold the next day or two later so that was the last of the open water that year. So, in my weather-beaten memory, this is unprecedented.

I think I recall fishermen launching boats at Fisher's resort in Malmo on Christmas Day that year.....

Back in the '60's, one January thaw we had fish tied to the door knob of the fish house on a stringer. There was quite a bit of water on top of the ice then. Flick a cigarette butt out the fish house door up wind and it blew back through one of the holes. Loose a fish in the hole and it could swim away on top of the ice as far as the eye could see. Walking to the fish house one of those days, as maybe an 8-9 year old, I fell down and got soaked. The old man had me sitting on his coal burning fish house stove drying out--madder than hell at me!

I could be wrong, but I doubt anything like this has taken place in the past 50 plus years.

Posted on: 2012/1/6 14:51

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. MLK

LSF Member
From Mille Lacs/Landfall
99' was the year it was a VERY late freeze. I remember being on 2 inches of ice the day after x-mas on a local hotspot. I just talked to my resort on the SW side and they fear they may not get out into much of the main lake at all this year. Depressing. Tough situation for resorts and shack owners. I'll be bummed to pay 500$ and not get my shack out, but think of how much the resorts will loose.........

Posted on: 2012/1/6 15:19

LSF Member
Quote:

Oldstar wrote:
99' was the year it was a VERY late freeze. I remember being on 2 inches of ice the day after x-mas on a local hotspot. I just talked to my resort on the SW side and they fear they may not get out into much of the main lake at all this year. Depressing. Tough situation for resorts and shack owners. I'll be bummed to pay 500$ and not get my shack out, but think of how much the resorts will loose.........

Couple this with the potential of our DNR lowering limits for the 2012 open water season, sad situation brewing...

Posted on: 2012/1/6 15:39

LSF Member
From Mora - Knife lake
On a real sad note, I imagine the indians will fill their quota and then some this spring as there won't be much ice to melt and they will have early access to the lake.

Posted on: 2012/1/6 15:54

Pro Staff
From Grand Rapids
Quote:

JT wrote:
On a real sad note, I imagine the indians will fill their quota and then some this spring as there won't be much ice to melt and they will have early access to the lake.

And there will be a lot more eyes since the hook and line numbers are pretty much nill for the winter. Shouldnt take them long!

Posted on: 2012/1/6 16:16

LSF Member
From Avon, MN & Beautiful Mille Lacs
Quote:

JT wrote:

Well- I donít like to ask for a late winter BUT in this case I hope for it. I foresee Mother Nature socking it to us late this year or winter I should say. Ice out will be around opener. Snow flying in May still... Time will tell-THIS is MN ya know
Last year with the late conditions, the good old tribes got about half their quota. Lets hope the same or even less this spring.

Steve-I love the stories. I can only imagine you have tons of them from growing up thru the ever changing Mille Lacs- That is why I enjoy so much talking with you and reading your brothers books!

Posted on: 2012/1/6 16:22

http://www.casstoday.com/

LSF Member
Yep, reading the history totally consumes... Unfortunately, while talking about anything pertaining to Mille Lacs, it immediately goes to Gill Netting... Hope you're right Russ, I wouldnt complain if the lake was covered even past opener... but then again, our good ol Aitkin wingnuts would push out opener just to entertain the gill nets... awww hell, there goes the blood pressure, again...

Posted on: 2012/1/6 16:41

LSF Member
From Leech Lake/Lake Mille Lacs
Remember this in history--January 7th, 2012--Lake Mille Lacs--looking out from Myr Mar Point. The first is looking SW. The 2nd is looking SE.

Attach file:

jpg  100_1054.JPG (1,118.52 KB)
8815_4f0897d7addb3.jpg 3072X2304 px

jpg  100_1055.JPG (1,426.93 KB)
8815_4f08984d5b4a5.jpg 3072X2304 px

Posted on: 2012/1/7 14:10

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. MLK

LSF Member
Yep, matches up with this today Steve.

Attach file:

jpg  1-7-12.jpg (18.90 KB)
6668_4f08b21721435.jpg 136X136 px

Posted on: 2012/1/7 15:58

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page