Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 »

Rainbows Through the Ice
LSF Member
Hey guys. I just moved into Clearwater County recently and have been testing the waters of area lakes. I am also pretty new to trout fishing in general. I was able to catch some trout in the area over the summer, and I caught a few last winter as well, but not many. There doesn't seem to be much information out there about catching Rainbows through the ice. I am going out this weekend to give it another try. I was wondering if anybody could give me any pointers about preferred tackle and bait for rainbows, and what kind of structure and depths to look for fish in. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Posted on: 2012/1/24 12:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Rainbows Through the Ice
LSF Member
From Park Rapids (Itasca State Park)
For tackle and bait pretty much anything you'd use for panfish works well. Typically I tip whatever I'm using with waxworms. Stocked rainbows like we have around here basically just roam around. Some guys fish shallow (15' or less), some guys fish deep. I've had better luck out deep (40+') than shallow, but I haven't fished shallow all that much. The best tip I can give you is to start fishing 6' or so below the ice no matter how deep you're fishing! It seems odd to be staring at your bait 6' down in 60' of water, but it works.

Let us know how it goes!

Posted on: 2012/1/24 13:27

LSF Member
I spend alot of time chasing rainbows in the winter. My suggestion is to fish no more than 10 ft depth and keep your bait in the top 5 ft. And dont be shy with them, a rainbow through the ice is the most aggressive fish ive ever encountered. I use small to medium rapalas. Keep jigging constantly until you see a mark on the sonar, then lightly play keep away with them, itll drive em nuts. Good luck!!!

Posted on: 2012/1/24 14:23

LSF Member
hollywood_pete,

I really appreciate the tips. The few that I have caught through the ice have been on wax worms, as you mentioned. It sounds like you fish deeper than I have tried before, so I'll give that a try too. Also, I've never tried suspending my lure so shallow (6' below the ice), but I'll give it a shot. Again, thanks a lot and I'll keep you posted!

Posted on: 2012/1/24 14:23

LSF Member
vikefanmn77

Hey, thanks for the tips. I've never really given jigging rapalas a fair shot, but I do think I have at least one. I'll probably send that down the hole too!

Posted on: 2012/1/24 14:26

LSF Member
From EGF, MN
Which lakes in the area stock rainbows. I know the lake I fish on, Clearwater, stocks the river with them but I can't imagine that any of them make it to and from the lake?

Posted on: 2012/1/24 17:13

LSF Member
From Walker

Posted on: 2012/1/24 17:31

LSF Member
From Fargo, ND
Like hollywood_pete said, definitely try varying the depth in the water column. Trout tend to roam the entire water column. From what I've can tell, they don't seem to relate to structure as much as other fish.

I haven't fished in your area, but when I've fished stocked rainbows in ND, I've caught them on the bottom in 30' of water, in the middle of the water column, and close to the top. I had one of my better days in water that was less than 3' deep under the ice. For some reason they really schooled up in that little bay.

-Mike

Posted on: 2012/1/24 18:01

LSF Member
From Bemidji, MN
whateversbitin, here's a report from Clearwater Co. with your local trout expert, hollywood_pete!!

http://www.lakestatefishing.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=54863&forum=61

Posted on: 2012/1/24 19:54

LSF Member
All of the responses have been great! Thanks guys for all the input. Hopefully I can make some of it count come Saturday!

Posted on: 2012/1/24 22:06

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page