LSF Member
From Park Rapids (Itasca State Park)
Hollywood who? Expert on what??

Good luck on Saturday!

Posted on: 2012/1/25 16:51
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Rainbows Through the Ice
LSF Member
Hey guys. I know I said I was heading out trout fishing on Saturday, but with all the good advice I got, I was itching to get out sooner. So I put aside thoughts of waiting for my buddy and hit the ice solo for a couple hours this afternoon. It turns out that you guys provided some great tips, and I was lucky enough to ice a couple trout according to the playbook you guys provided. I tried 32' and 25' and 12' with no success, but when I moved deeper my luck changed. I landed both of these fish in 40' of water, running my lure about 7' below the ice. I missed a couple others too. I tried a couple different jigs, and a darter, but both fish came on a Northland Bro Bug tipped with a waxie. Thanks again guys for all the help, and I'll try to let you know how things go this weekend.

Attach file:

jpg  021.JPG (1,765.15 KB)
17395_4f221baead5ca.jpg 2736X3648 px

Posted on: 2012/1/26 22:37

LSF Member
From Bemidji, MN
Nice work!

Sounds about right, eh hollywood? Exact location and water column we found them in... And don't be modest, you're the trout addict!

Posted on: 2012/1/26 23:24

LSF Member
Glad to see you had some success! Yep, that pattern sounds pretty familiar Matt. I can't believe it's the end of January and I've only been out after trout once. It's torture driving past one of my favorite trout lakes every day on the way to and from work....

Posted on: 2012/1/27 11:10

LSF Member
From Hastings MN, Siren WI
Nice job! Sounds like you owe these guys lunch.

Bet you want to do that again.

Posted on: 2012/1/27 12:44

LSF Member
Since you guys did such a great job of answering my previous questions, I thought I'd throw out another. What is your favorite way to prepare and eat trout? Its such a different kind of fish from the rest of what we catch around here, I was just wondering how you guys like to eat it. Personally, I've baked it and grilled it, and I'm thinking about having these latest ones smoked. What do you guys think? Any suggestions for a good place to have them smoked in the Bemidji area?

Posted on: 2012/1/27 13:47

LSF Member
Trout are so versatile in the kitchen, that's part of why I like to fish for them. Here are just a few of my favorites.

You can gut them, stuff them with various herbs/seasonings/citrus, wrap in foil and bake. I've stuffed them with shrimp before, and even crawfish tail meat. Tons of baking options.

You can fillet them out like any other "normal" fish, soak the fillets in milk, then roll in your favorite fish breading (I like Andy's Red the best), and deep fry them. You can even leave the skin on for this if you'd like. Throw a couple eggs over easy on top of the fillets and you've got my favorite breakfast!

They're GREAT on the grill. Fillet them but leave the skin on, spread some butter on the fillet, coat the buttered fillet with blackened fish seasoning and grill (over charcoal of course) skin-side down until done.

The best place I've found for smoked trout in the Bemidji area is my house! I've never taken them anywhere but I'm sure others could chime in on a good place to have them smoked.

Posted on: 2012/1/27 15:18

LSF Member
From Bemidji, MN
I get all of my fish smoked at the Bemidji Fish Locker. Never had any issues there, always comes back tasty!

I despise breaded trout myself. Baked or grilled all the way!

Posted on: 2012/1/27 16:41

LSF Member
Good to see you found some fish!

I like this recipe, works well with type any of fish, even without the skin. It's my go-to for weeknight fish dinner, usually with green beans...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/good-eats/pan-fried-fish-recipe/index.html

Posted on: 2012/1/27 16:58

LSF Member
From Fargo, ND
I tried this recipe this fall on some salmon fillets and it was the best salmon I've ever had. Should be great for trout as well. The only change would be to adjust the cooking time as smaller trout won't take as long.

Ingredients:
One 2 lb salmon filet (I left the skin on mine)
1 cedar plank, pre-soaked in water
1/2 cup brown sugar ( I used cup)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt (you probably want to add a little bit more)
Pepper mill
1 lemon

Directions:
1. Preheat a gas grill to medium.
2. Slice lemon into very thin slices
3. Place the cedar plank on the grill grate for 5 minutes.
4. In the meantime, combine brown sugar, olive oil, Italian seasoning, smoked paprika and Kosher salt in a small bowl.
5. Place sliced lemons on cedar plank, fish will lay on top of these
6. Place salmon on plank
7. Grind pepper directly on to fish, just need a little
8. Using clean hands or a spatula rub the mixture over the top of the salmon filet (the side the skin was not on)
9. Grill for 25-30 minutes, or until salmon turns light pink in color and is flaky (135 degrees internal temp).

Enjoy!

-Mike

Posted on: 2012/1/27 17:25

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page